Beat the GMAT (enough) and into NYU (my top choice)!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
So, I hope this quick post can help others studying. I found many of the stories on this website frustrating, particularly those posts of people with 700+ and questioning whether to retake their exam. What I've learned in this process are two VERY SIMPLE facts - both of which apply to every day life

1) don't give up, put in the effort/time and be confident in yourself
2) shoot for the best schools, even if you doubt your scores

I'm a working professional in finance, 29 yrs old and have a very busy job (definitely not a 9-5). I took the GMAT after 2 weeks of studing in 2008. I naively thought that I'd do really well, being a finance/accounting professional and having great writing and verbal experience. Well I didn't. In fact, I was actually BELOW AVERAGE in quant and slightly above average in verbal - scored a 570. Not awful for 2 weeks studying but definitely knew it would limit my school options.

Then I realized that I needed a study plan. I put in about 3 months and tried to stick to 10-15 hours per week. It was tough to stick to set dates/times given my busy schedule, but I just made sure that if I missed a Tues night, I'd study Wed morning instead. Studied mostly quant since that was where the most improvement was needed. Refreshed on key topics in verbal within 2 weeks of the test.

Sooooo, I took the test in May and scored a 670, which was actually disappointing at first thought. Was 40Q 65%/41V 89%/6.0 AWA. I was getting in 690-720 range on practice exams so I was CRUSHED!!! I went home and thought, I've worked this hard so I'm still shooting for my top school goal of NYU for an MBA. I then focused on my application, essays, resume, etc, etc. I made a strong case with my essays to offset my lower-than-average GMAT and specifically quant score compared to NYU's average. I assumed I was a "bubble" applicant but didn't want to quit!

I applied and was ACCEPTED for the fall!! I was so excited to get into my top school and really appreciated the stories of hardwork, dedication and overcoming obstacles on this site. I hope this inspires others that maybe have to work a bit harder to get into their top school and get a great GMAT score. Just remember - these MBA programs, including top ones, want a DIVERSE STUDENT POPULATION, to provide better learning opportunities for all MBA students. They want different backgrounds, experiences, ethnicity, strengths/weaknesses - most importantly, they want passion and ambition for a program. Tell the admissions department why YOU BELONG for reasons other than your GMAT score. Sure, getting a GMAT well above their average will help (since lets face facts, they still have averages and rankings to attain), but at their GMAT average, you have a chance and if strong in other areas, you may actually be MORE VALUABLE to the program than the quant superstar that doesn't have a personality and passion. You can't teach those intangibles and MBA programs want those too!

I hope this helps people as they study and work toward a great MBA program. Don't sell yourself short - there will always be second tier schools that you can pursue if you don't hit the stars!

For anyone interested in benchmarking backgrounds, my specifics are below:

- CPA and certified fraud examiner in investment mgmt, asset mgmt, financial services focus
- worked with international CPA firm (big4) and recently in regional CPA firm, manager past 3 years
- small private undergrad 3k students, 3.75 gpa and minors in spanish/economics
- college division 3 soccer, president accounting association, college tutor finance, accounting, economics, english
- GMAT 670 40Q/41V/6AWA
- Strong extra curriculars post undergrad, active volunteerism
- founded not-for-profit for clothing donation/redistribution
- Board member local civic/advocacy group
- Board member undergrad alumni association

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:09 am
Excellent. Congrats.

by behbette » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:29 pm
Congratulations and thanks for the post. Best of luck for your future endeavors.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by co_lor » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:16 am
Congrajulations on your admission to NYU.

by beyondenim » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:37 am
That's great. But I disagree with you, many people are aiming 700+ because their background is not as impressive as yours obviously. I am a perfect example, I only worked for 2 years at my business of retail and currency tradings, I have no international encounter, no extra curricular activities, graduated from a non recognized college, have a very good GPA of 3.70 but that's it....

So how do you expect me (or similar) to get into Top B schools? The GMAT and how well I do in the essays/interviews are the only factors that can help right now... If you didn't had those background, you'd wish you had a GMAT of 700+

Congrats again! :)

by Jim01234567890 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:45 pm
Hey beyondenim, I definitely understand and wish you the best in your studies. Shoot for a 700+ and go for the top ten if that's your goal! I'm not an admissions counselor, but the process made me realize how important other factors are to the application process - so build up those parts too over a year/two if needed. There are a lot of brilliant 24-25 year olds that can get a great 700+ GMAT score but what type of management experience can they apply to a top tier MBA program? I know top schools except those GMAT all-stars in some cases, but many people, including me, don't want an MBA program with only brilliant 24 year olds that scored 700+ GMATs to brag about it. It should be a broader experience than that so keep well rounded in mind as you start the application process and best of luck!