Avg Work Experience required.. for top 10 Bschool..

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi Sir,

I wanted to know more about the work experience required in MBA admission.

In general if I am targeting top 10 B school how much work ex would you recommend me just to be on the safer side. A couple of my friends have made it top schools like Wharton, Duke and Darden even with work experience around 3 to 4 years.. although the average they quote is much higher.. like around 5 years or so.. What would you advise..?

I wanted to get the some information in this regard.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:24 am
Hello James1990,

Thank you for your post!

The average applicant to a top business school program is 27-28 years of age and has amassed 4-6 years of full-time work experience since graduating from college. Ideally, you would take on more responsibilities and grow in your role over time. However, this is simply the common range. Generally, you may consider three years of work experience as the minimum so that you have sufficient leadership experience and quantifiable achievements. That said, there are programs that show favor for less work experience, such as HBS and its 2+2 program, which requires only two years of work experience. More than eight years of experience would be better suited to executive or part-time MBA programs, as they generally are looking for slightly more mature candidates.

If you'd like to discuss other elements of your candidacy, please contact us directly at https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by james1990 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:21 am
Thank you sir for your detailed answer.. Much useful.. :)