average salary in Kravonia

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

average salary in Kravonia

by pakaskwa » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:48 pm
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Current enrollments in Kravonia’s colleges indicate that over the next four years the percentage of the Kravonian workforce with college degrees will increase dramatically. Therefore, the average salary for all workers in Kravonia is likely to increase over the next four years.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree.
B. The percentage of Kravonians who attend college in order to earn higher salaries is higher now than it was several years ago.
C. The higher average salary for jobs requiring a college degree is not due largely to a scarcity among the Kravonian workforce of people with a college degree.
D. The average salary in Kravonia for jobs that do not require a college degree will not increase over the next four years.
E. Few members of the Kravonian workforce earned their degrees in other countries.

IMO, the argument is based on the assumption that "workforce with college degrees" is the only reason for an increase of average salary in K city. So I chose D, which could be another reason. But OA is C, and I don't understand. Can someone explain?

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 pm
IMO, the argument is based on the assumption that "workforce with college degrees" is the only reason for an increase of average salary in K city.
Look we are concerned with only and only the bold part

what happens to the people with non-degree is not our concern.

Suppose, even if the salary of non-degree jobs increase, the college students who are in college are not going to join the non-degree jobs....isn't it??
I solved this question by personalizing the argument

I am an engineering student,right now I am in my college and I can see people with engineering degree get very good salary, but when I pass out from my university, will I be still getting a high salary??

Certainly if there is still a demand of engineers, then I will get a high salary and if there is no demand(saturation level) then I will not get high salary.

Hope this helps

Karan

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:29 am
remember that you're looking for REQUIRED ASSUMPTIONS.

here's a very useful criterion to use in these problems:
try REVERSING putative assumptions and see the effect on the argument.
if you REVERSE A REQUIRED ASSUMPTION, the ARGUMENT SHOULD BECOME INVALID.

let's try this with choice (d):
reverse the assumption: let's say the average salary for non-degree jobs will increase over the next 4 years.
this would actually STRENGTHEN the argument (!), because it would provide another reason that the average salary would increase.
this is the complete opposite of the effect you're looking for; reversing the assumption should destroy the argument.
bad.
very bad.
wrong answer.

So I chose D, which could be another reason.

you can't introduce some random hypothetical consideration, which may or may not be true (and has zero evidence in the passage), and then try to criticize it as if it were a necessary component of the argument!
you should know better than this; making any unwarranted assumptions on CR is disastrous - let alone using those unwarranted assumptions as the basis for further reasoning.
this is one form of a common logical fallacy called ignoratio elenchi, if you're interested in such things.

as soon as you start saying "maybe it is possible that..." or "this could be..." in a Find the Assumption question, you should smack yourself in the head and yell "STOP!" at the top of your lungs.

--

funny analogy:
the test instructions don't tell you that you should continue breathing normally during the test, either. "but maybe it's possible that some students could hold their breath during quant questions!" maybe indeed.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:25 am
Hello Ron

Can you let me know if there is something Lacking in my approach?

Karan

GMAT Score:750

by pakaskwa » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:51 am
Hello Ron,
I might miss something here. But here's my thoughts:

1. The argument is built on a causal relationship, ie, because "workforce with college degrees will increase", "average salary will increase too".

2. Assumption must be built upon some fact that there's no other reason for average salary to increase.

3. Choice D is such a fact. Because if we reverse D, the causal relationship between "workforce with college degrees will increase" and "average salary will increase too" will not exist any more. Here, the reverse of required assumption undermines the causal relationship, not the argument itself.

4. In Choice C, it says "The higher average salary for jobs requiring a college degree is not due largely to a scarcity among the Kravonian workforce of people with a college degree." In the original question, it's nowhere mentioned that there's such a scarcity. You mentioned that we can't make any unwarranted assumptions with CR, I totally agree. And that's why I didn't choose C, the word "scarcity" is too extreme to me.

Please let me know what you think.

Followed by:1 members

by kanha81 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:56 am
Ron,

I agree with you on the type and line of reasoning that we should be implementing while solving Assumption CR question types; however, what else I noticed that I think is wrongly identified in [C] is the internal comparison between higher average salaries of workforce with degree jobs and average salaries of workforce with degree jobs.

The stimulus comprises of comparing average salaries of workforce with degree jobs and average salaries of workforce with non-degree jobs. Hence I avoided [C] and gave thumbs up to [[spoiler]D][/spoiler]

Please help us weed out the misunderstandings and nail this type of questions!

Thanks a bunch. :)
Want to Beat GMAT.
Always do what you're afraid to do. Whoooop GMAT

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:49 pm
kanha81 wrote:what else I noticed that I think is wrongly identified in [C] is the internal comparison between higher average salaries of workforce with degree jobs and average salaries of workforce with degree jobs.
these are indeed different, but they are related.

if you erase the differential between the different salaries (this relates to the whole idea of "internal comparison / higher average salaries"), then the overall average salary can't change anymore, because degreed and non-degree jobs would have reached equilibrium (i.e., similar average salaries).
therefore, you need the assumption that the differential between salaries will persist, even with the increased entry of degreed candidates into the work force.

again, realize that (d) is the EXACT OPPOSITE of the sort of assumption you'd want to make. if (d) DIDN'T happen, it would HELP you.

an ASSUMPTION has to be ABSOLUTELY VITAL to the passage. in other words, if the Assumption is FALSE, then the entire passage's validity is DESTROYED.

proceed accordingly.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:1 members

by kanha81 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:11 pm
lunarpower wrote:
kanha81 wrote:what else I noticed that I think is wrongly identified in [C] is the internal comparison between higher average salaries of workforce with degree jobs and average salaries of workforce with degree jobs.
these are indeed different, but they are related.

if you erase the differential between the different salaries (this relates to the whole idea of "internal comparison / higher average salaries"), then the overall average salary can't change anymore, because degreed and non-degree jobs would have reached equilibrium (i.e., similar average salaries).
therefore, you need the assumption that the differential between salaries will persist, even with the increased entry of degreed candidates into the work force.

again, realize that (d) is the EXACT OPPOSITE of the sort of assumption you'd want to make. if (d) DIDN'T happen, it would HELP you.

an ASSUMPTION has to be ABSOLUTELY VITAL to the passage. in other words, if the Assumption is FALSE, then the entire passage's validity is DESTROYED.

proceed accordingly.
Thanks Ron. Makes sense. I had just put it to the Assumption Negation technique and [spoiler][C][/spoiler] proves to be the right fit. Again. thanks a bunch.

Could you please help understand the CR question titled- "911- Help!! Percents, Numbers CR"
Want to Beat GMAT.
Always do what you're afraid to do. Whoooop GMAT

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by poonam197 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:40 am
Ron,

Please advice on how to apply the 'negation' technique on Option D. ???

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by ssgmatter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:07 am
I am still not clear why D is wrong here?
Best-
Amit