Assumption - Education theorists

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Assumption - Education theorists

by Vemuri » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:32 pm
Educational theorists have long hypothesized that an interest in culture and the arts, especially music, has a positive impact on academic performance. A recent study of high school seniors confirms this theory. A test measuring proficiency in a broad range of academic disciplines was administered to high school seniors in major cities in the norteastern United States. The average score of students who attended schools that offered classes in art history and music appreciation was significantly higher than that of students who attended schools without such cultural enrichment programs.

The agrument above assumes which of the following?

A. At the schools offering art history and music appreciation classes, such classes were open to underclassmen, as well as juniors and seniors.
B. Enrollment in the art history and music appreciation classes was restricted to students who had previously demonstrated an interest in culture and the arts.
C. Students attending schools with cultural enrichment programs, whether they participated in such a program or not, possesed a higher average level of interest in culture and the arts than did students at other schools.
D. Among students attending schools offering cultural enrichment classes, those enrolled in such classes performed better on the test than did those not enrolled in such classes.
E. Students attending the schools that did not offer enrichment programs had no other opportunities to develop interest in culture and the arts.

Please answer with reasoning

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:11 pm
I would go with C.

The argument is that an interest in culture and the arts, especially music, has a positive impact on academic performance.

That said thae argument traverses to say that the average score of students from schools offering cultural enrichment programs were more than the average score of students who cam from schools that did not. It deos not that the students who took this test from schools that offerred these programs were all enrolled in a program.

Negate C.The argument gets weakened.

Students attending schools with cultural enrichment programs, whether they participated in such a program or not, did not posses a higher average level of interest in culture and the arts than did students at other schools

If this were true then the conclsuion that an interest in culture and the arts, especially music, has a positive impact on academic performance is weakened.

we are only concerned about the interest and not the actual enrollment in this argument.

D) looks tempting but I would stick with C

Regards.
CR

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by rs2010 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:16 pm
I would also go with Cramya

Interest is the keyword here.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by matterover » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:37 am
I am tempted to opt for E.

E means that the school is the only medium for both set of students.

LEt us say that Group A ( attended schools that offered classes in art history and music appreciation ) and Group B( students who attended schools that do not offer).

I tend to weaken the arguments:
a) what if the students who already score higher show inclination to take part in the course.

b) what if the students who already score higher generally get admitted into those top ivy league schools which offer these music and art courses.
These 2 above are focussed for Group A only..

Negate these weaken arguments.
a) Students of both the groups are likely to show equal interest to enroll in course.

b) Students of Group A do not possess a higher average before
a higher average level of interest in culture and the arts than did students at other schools. Pay attention the do not part should be included in the assumption. if they do not possess higher average, then both the groups are levelled with respect to the scores initially before the course.

consider Group B.

Weaken
a) What if the Group B students attended some vocation courses -teaching music and art. elsewhere.
b) What if the group B students took up some private tuitions to get trained on music and art --
Both these would mean that group b also took the music courses and still scored less ?
hence
deny the weakening
Group B : Students attending the schools that did not offer enrichment programs had no other opportunities to develop interest in culture and the arts.

Hence this is the assumption.
My $0.02

Legendary Member

by Vemuri » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:32 am
Spot on Cramya !!! Wonderful explanation.

-------------------------------------------------
Earth Hour 2009
Vote Earth! Your light switch is your vote.
https://www.earthhour.org/home/

GMAT Score:600

by dendude » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:57 pm
cramya wrote:I would go with C.

The argument is that an interest in culture and the arts, especially music, has a positive impact on academic performance.

That said thae argument traverses to say that the average score of students from schools offering cultural enrichment programs were more than the average score of students who cam from schools that did not. It deos not that the students who took this test from schools that offerred these programs were all enrolled in a program.

Negate C.The argument gets weakened.

Students attending schools with cultural enrichment programs, whether they participated in such a program or not, did not posses a higher average level of interest in culture and the arts than did students at other schools

If this were true then the conclsuion that an interest in culture and the arts, especially music, has a positive impact on academic performance is weakened.

we are only concerned about the interest and not the actual enrollment in this argument.

D) looks tempting but I would stick with C

Regards.
CR
In the same line, why would E not prove true?
Negating it,
E. Students attending the schools that did not offer enrichment programs had other opportunities to develop interest in culture and the arts.

If this was true, wouldn't it also weaken the argument?
Because these students had an interest and yet they scored low.

Just curious and thought I'd ask.
I may be missing something though.

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:27 pm
Just curious and thought I'd ask.
I may be missing something though.
E talks about oppurtunities to develop interest whereas the core of the argument the more tha interest the better the scores. Does not have to be an assumption for the conlusion to stand

Hence eliminate E. Hope this helps!

Regards,
CR

GMAT Score:600

by dendude » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:08 am
cramya wrote: E talks about oppurtunities to develop interest whereas the core of the argument the more tha interest the better the scores. Does not have to be an assumption for the conlusion to stand
Yep. That's exactly what I missed. Opportunities Vs Possessing Actual Interest.
Thanks CR

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by varunkh70 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:13 pm
Hey!

Can anybody explain why are'nt we going with D? I mean if we negate D then conclusion would not hold true either. Is it that we are eliminating D since assumption is never stated in the passage and this one seemed so?

Thanks!

by kris77 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:37 pm
Answer C seems to be logical one out of other answer choices