assumptio

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

assumptio

by gmatnmein2010 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:44 pm
Any serious policy discussion about acceptable levels of risk in connection with explosions is not well served if the participants fail to use the word "explosion" and use the phrase "energetic disassembly" instead. In fact, the word "explosion" elicits desirable reactions, such as a heightened level of attention, whereas the substitute phrase does not. Therefore, of the two terms, "explosion" is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?
(A) In the kind of discussion at issue, the advantages of desirable reactions to the term "explosion" outweigh the drawbacks, if any, arising from undesirable reactions to that term.
(B) The phrase "energetic disassembly" has not so far been used as a substitute for the word "explosion" in the kind of discussion at issue.
(C) In any serious policy discussion, what is said by the participants is more important than how it is put into words.
(D) The only reason that people would have for using "energetic disassembly" in place of "explosion" is to render impossible any serious policy discussion concerning explosions.
(E) The phrase "energetic disassembly" is not necessarily out of place in describing a controlled rather than an accidental explosion

I am not able to paraphrase the argument pls help????

source : LSAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:53 pm
IMO A

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:01 pm
IMO A as well... although I did add D as a "weak possibility" when I read it.

If i were to break down the paragraph I would get

Serious discussions in connection with explosions are weakened if the word energetic disassembly is used. Explosion elicits desirable reactions and energetic dissaembly does not. Therefore explosion should be used throughout these discussions.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:03 pm
2 min 10 sec

I chose A - Only in case the "undesirable reactions" do not serve better than "desirable reactions" in this policy would help to reach the conclusion. So it is assumed that the above said is true.

Other options are much far away from the point of reasoning.
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:30 pm
sometimes I feel that reading the LSAT questions are more enjoyable than the GMAT questions.... anyone else feel this way?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by Giorgio » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:48 pm
gmatnmein2010 wrote:Any serious policy discussion about acceptable levels of risk in connection with explosions is not well served if the participants fail to use the word "explosion" and use the phrase "energetic disassembly" instead. In fact, the word "explosion" elicits desirable reactions, such as a heightened level of attention, whereas the substitute phrase does not. Therefore, of the two terms, "explosion" is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort.
(A) In the kind of discussion at issue, the advantages of desirable reactions to the term "explosion" outweigh the drawbacks, if any, arising from undesirable reactions to that term.
(B) The phrase "energetic disassembly" has not so far been used as a substitute for the word "explosion" in the kind of discussion at issue.
(C) In any serious policy discussion, what is said by the participants is more important than how it is put into words.
(D) The only reason that people would have for using "energetic disassembly" in place of "explosion" is to render impossible any serious policy discussion concerning explosions.
(E) The phrase "energetic disassembly" is not necessarily out of place in describing a controlled rather than an accidental explosion

I'll Go With E!

by gmatnmein2010 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:30 pm
guys help me to understand the logic

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by gmatpill » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:38 pm
Giorgio wrote:
gmatnmein2010 wrote:Any serious policy discussion about acceptable levels of risk in connection with explosions is not well served if the participants fail to use the word "explosion" and use the phrase "energetic disassembly" instead. In fact, the word "explosion" elicits desirable reactions, such as a heightened level of attention, whereas the substitute phrase does not. Therefore, of the two terms, "explosion" is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort.

Answer (A). Let me try to explain:

First, we need to figure out what is going on.

Step 1): Start with this part of the sentence: "Any serious policy discussion about acceptable levels of risk in connection with explosions"

You should visualize in your head 2 items:
1) "acceptable levels of risk"
2) "explosions"

So apparently there's a "connection" between these two items...you should at least get that far. Now read on...

Step 2): "...is not well served if the participants fail to use the word "explosion" and use the phrase "energetic disassembly" instead."

So you can translate this as saying that you really should use the word "explosion." It's not fair when you use the other word "energetic disassembly" when really you should be using "explosion."

So in your head you should be thinking:
1) explosion = good
2) energetic disassemby = bad

Step 3): "...In fact, the word "explosion" elicits desirable reactions, such as a heightened level of attention, whereas the substitute phrase does not."

So apparently there are some positive things associated with the word "explosion" but not associated with the other word.

Step 4): "...Therefore, of the two terms, "explosion" is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort."

AHA! Keyword "Therefore" tells you this is your conclusion sentence. Basically it's saying you should use the word "explosion."

Step5): Now go through the answer choices:

--This is exactly what STEP #3 was about---there are positives (advantages) associated with the word "explosion".----so far (A) looks GOOD!

(B) The phrase "energetic disassembly" has not so far been used as a substitute for the word
"explosion" in the kind of discussion at issue.

- This is OPPOSITE of what is is implied. Obviously SOMEONE has been using the word "energetic disassembly" with the issue at hand and it's been PISSING off the author. Now the author is pissed off and he/she is writing this paragraph saying that people shouldn't be using "energetic assembly" because it's not accurate/fair. So (B) is the opposite of what we're looking for---NO GOOD

---This looks like a typical booby trap sentence where they say something that is common knowledge or wisdom but that is TOTALLY unrelated to the passage. --NO GOOD

- out of scope. We are not concerned with the reason of usage.

(E) The phrase "energetic disassembly" is not necessarily out of place in describing a controlled rather than an accidental explosion.

--again out of scope--we are not talking about controlled versus accidental explosion but rather the use of the word explosion versus the use of the word "energetic disassembly."

You could have looked at answer (A) and just quickly glance at the other answer choices. Seeing that most of them are not so relevant, you can just stick to your intuition that answer (A) is correct and move on!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by VikingWarrior » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:57 pm
Now this one is 5/5!
I would go with A though I had a tough time with E & D as well