aspiring to get amongst the best b schools

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi all,

I'm an Indian male with an MBA and 7.5yrs of work exp. in manufacturing, FMCG/healthcare and now in banking. I appeared for GMAT in Feb'08 scored 610(Q 42, V 33), AWA 4.5. I know that the pool i come from it's too low a score but i hardly find time to study.Though i was able to garner the versatile exp. of banking but not sure on the leverage it will provide me to fulfill my dream of getting into the best of the best school.

All the threads on how to get into the best b school without reappearing for the GMAT and a finding financial cushion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks & regards
Abhinav

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:38 pm
Hi Abhinav,

As you know, you are in a tough position. I assume that you meant you have an undergraduate degree in business (you wrote that you have an MBA?) but without knowing the school, you went to or your GPA, it is difficult to assess your candidacy (even with a better GMAT). The top US programs usually have an 80% GMAT range of 680-720. If you fall at the lower end of this range (or even right below it), you will need to have stellar LORs, essays and experience. If you have very good undergraduate grades and if the rest of your application is strong, you may have a chance at being admitted with a 650+, but, it will be very tough with a 610.

If you are serious about going to business school, I suggest you take a course to prepare for the GMAT. This will force you to set aside the necessary study time. But, unfortunately, without a better score, I think your school choices will be very limited.

Good luck to you!
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by abhinav khanna » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:24 pm
Hi jessica,

Thank you for your prompt reply. i have an indian MBA and i'm looking for a foreign exposure, i don't have business undergrad and the undergrad GPA would be 3.2 approx. I've always known to the fact that i would have to appear again for the GMAT but it's the lack of time and the intention to capitalize on the work exp. that i garnered makes me think otherwise.

It seems that I'll have to pull up the socks and plan for GMAT.

Thanks a lot!!!

Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:27 am
If you have an Indian MBA, another challenge will be to explain why you really need another MBA. You'll need to articulate how this degree will help you achieve goals that you can't achieve without it. This will be especially challenging because you DO have a lot of good work experience. An adcom might think that you are already able to be successful and that a second MBA will only help marginally (there is a fine balance here - you need to show that you are successful and talented, but, also, that you need more education to get where you really want to go!).
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options