Ask FutureWorks Consulting

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Ask FutureWorks Consulting

by Kavita_Singh » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:45 am
Hello,

Getting an MBA from abroad or completing a foreign-based undergraduate programme is a dream that a lot of people harbour. I, Kavita Singh, also harboured the dream and saw it fulfilled and now make sure that I put a lot of others harbouring the same dream en route.An alumnus of Oxford University and Columbia Business School and being a part of the Dean's List and a member of the Beta Gamma Sigma Society, an Honors society,I look at translating my knowledge and experience into an advantage to the students who seek guidance from me. I have over 13 years of marketing strategy,consulting,brand management and sales axpereince spanning the consumer packaged goods and media industries.

I am a Columbia Business School Ambassador and an Alumni Adviser (coaching MBA students through the program).A certified Myers Briggs Practitioner,I have been involved in developing and leading training programs since 2000.I write regularly on the topic of studying abroad for a variety of publications including The Hindustan Times and also hold workshops at leading schools and colleges in India.

My organisation,FutureWorks Consulting,has been instrumental in providing personalised admission consulting services to applicants to leading Universities like Harvard, Oxford, Columbia and many more for both undergraduate and post graduate admission. Besides the mandatory essay review's and editing, we also address all your other needs ranging from assessing your background to identify your strengths, vulnerabilities and what differentiates from other candidates, course selection, university selection, pre application strategies, extensive essay advice and refinement, resume development, planning for school visits, recommendation strategy scholarship applications, interview preparation, waitlist strategies, and reapplication reviews.

FutureWorks has been working with clients all over the world: India, US, Canada, Turkey, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Africa to name a few places.

If you have any questions post away here.
Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by p237.iitb » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:08 am
Hi,
I would request your help in evaluating my profile and identifying the schools that I could target. My profile is as follows:

Undergrad: Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay
CPI: 7.27/10
GMAT: 720
Extra Currics: Was extensively into dramatics in IIT, held positions in the hostel council, passed out as the General Secretary of my hostel, won various awards and recognitions for my cultural and organisational work over 4 years in IIT.
International Exposure: Did my internship (2.5 months duration) in Sweden. Interacted with teams in Singapore, Japan and Indonesia for business development for international donor agency projects.
Work Ex: Would be more than 4 years for the class of September, 2012. All this while I have been involved into advisory services for various industries in climate change and sustainability services especially carbon credits, corporate sustainability reporting, carbon footprinting, business development towards International Donor Agency projects etc.
Post MBA Goals: I want to get into general management and business strategy. I believe world now needs business leaders who can incorporate sustainability into their core business strategy and make business sense for a sustainable future.
I have shortlisted a few schools and would love to have your comments on the same and any further additions that you may suggest. The schools are - ISB, Kellogg, Booth, Yale, INSEAD, NUS.

Thanks a lot !!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Kavita_Singh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:19 am
Dear p237.iitb

First of let us congratulate on your GMAT score. With this score you can easily aim for your desired institutes abroad. So we would advice you to work on your application ASAP.

Ideally most of the Indian applicants are from engineering background and have a good 4-5 years of work experience. So make it a point to highlight your academics in your application so that your profile is different from the rest. Start thinking what makes you unique and that's will be key to your ideal application. Also if activities beyond academics could be related to your desired course subject/subjects then it could boost your chances a lot.

Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So if you can show that in 4 years you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for you can put in a strong set of essays.

Make sure you follow the 'show rather than tell' principle so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors.
Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting