As to Whether..... Problem

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

As to Whether..... Problem

by RoadtoIVY » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:36 pm
Could somebody please help? This problem is driving me nuts javascript:emoticon(':evil:')

Costly X-rays often not needed, the OT rules were developed to aid in a doctor's decision as to whether a patient with foot pain should be offered an X-ray, since only 5% of patients before the rules actually had fractures when X-rayed.

A. Costly X-rays often not needed, the OT rules were developed to aid in a doctor's decision as to whether a patient with foot pain should be offered an X-ray, since only 5% of patients before the rules actually had fractures when X-rayed.
B. The OT rules were developed to aid in a doctor's decision as to whether a patient with foot pain should be offered an X-ray, since only 5% of patients before the rules' development actually had fractures when X-rayed, and these X-rays were costly and often not needed.
C. Since only 5% of patients before the rules' development actually had fractures when X-rayed, and these X-rays were costly and often not needed, the OT rules were developed to aid in a doctor's decision as to whether a patient with foot pain should be offered an X-ray.
D. Developed to aid in a doctor's decision as to whether a patient with foot pain should be offered an X-ray, only 5% of patients, when X-rayed, actually had fractures before the OT rules were developed, and X-rays were costly and often not needed.
E. The OT rules were developed to aid in a doctor's decision as to whether a patient with foot pain should be offered an X-ray; X-rays were costly and often not needed, and 5% of patients, when X-rayed actually had fractures before the rules' development.

Source: 800 Score Verbal test 4 :evil: :evil:

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:700

by capnx » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:26 pm
Man, went back and forth on this question and finally decided on A.

D is for sure wrong b/c the subject "5% of patients" cannot be "developed to aid..."

B and C is probably wrong b/c "these x-rays" cannot be properly traced to preceding references.

E is wrong because it changes the meaning (missing "only") and missing comma after "when x-rayed,"

A is explainable:

"Costly X-rays often not needed" is an independent structure,
"the OT rules were developed..." is the main clause,
"since only 5%" is subordinate clause modifying the main clause

tough one!

by kiennguyen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:00 am
i don't understand the structure of A!?!

GMAT Score:740

by 2010gmat » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:37 am
b...if correct i wud explain...is a real tough ques

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:51 am
btw b and c

i will go for B

IMO
OT rules are mentioned after "The rules" in C

"the rules" should come after OT rules

by RoadtoIVY » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:16 am
I also don't know the correct anwer.

What do you guys think of this line "Costly X-rays often not needed" in option A? Is this sentence correct. If yes, I will go ahead with A because B uses "and these X-rays were costly and often not needed.", which I feel is wordy.

GMAT Score:740

by 2010gmat » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:16 am
well that line is the only concern in choice A....it lacks a main verb...{atleast i think so}..

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:700

by capnx » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:22 am
A begins with an independent structure.
"Costly X-rays often not needed, the OT rules were developed to..."

Structure:
With + noun + participle (verb+ed or verb+ing)
NOTE: "with" can be dropped

So for A: (With) X-rays not needed
"with" is dropped
X-rays = noun
needed = past participle

example:
With his homework done, Tom went out to play.
"With" can be dropped --> His homework done, Tom went out to play.

Another structure is:
With + noun + prep phrase
ie: With the book in his hand, Tom went to the library.
- "with" can also be dropped: The book in his hand, Tom went to the library.[/i]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by berserk » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:45 am
capnx wrote:Man, went back and forth on this question and finally decided on A.

D is for sure wrong b/c the subject "5% of patients" cannot be "developed to aid..."

B and C is probably wrong b/c "these x-rays" cannot be properly traced to preceding references.

E is wrong because it changes the meaning (missing "only") and missing comma after "when x-rayed,"

A is explainable:

"Costly X-rays often not needed" is an independent structure,
"the OT rules were developed..." is the main clause,
"since only 5%" is subordinate clause modifying the main clause

my question is whether 'Costly X-rays' and 'offered an X-ray' can properly be traced??

It seems to compare singular to plural?

OA Please...
My goal is just 700

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:05 pm
A is incorrect. In English, clauses (subject-verb structures) must be linked to one another by exactly one connecting phrase. In A, there is no connector between the clause "X-rays aren't needed" and "the OT rules were developed." It needs a "because," "since," or "so," to be correct; as written, it's a run-on sentence.

D is incorrect because the initial descriptive phrase, "developed to...", describes the OT rules, but the phrase is adjacent to "5% of patients." This is a modification error, and is incorrect.

E looks good; replacing a comma with a semicolon is one way to correct a run-on. However, the very last bit is garbled. 'when tested' is a descriptive phrase the needs to be followed by a comma, and "before the rules development" at the end of this version is a dangling modifier.

B and C are almost identical. Literally the only difference between the two is the order of the clauses. However, B has the superior order. B introduces "patients with foot pain" and "the OT rules" in it's first clause, then clearly refers back to "patients" and "the rules" in the second clause. C, on the other hand, starts by talking about the ambiguous "patients" and "the rules," and not until the second clause does it actually clarify the specifics of its subjects.
B is correct.
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

by cyrwr1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:29 pm
bump

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:28 am
OMG!! This is a wonderful question.
Was between, B and E.
IMO: B

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:50 am
Quoting option B here :
B. The OT rules were developed to aid in a doctor's decision as to whether a patient with foot pain should be offered an X-ray, since only 5% of patients before the rules' development actually had fractures when X-rayed, and these X-rays were costly and often not needed.
the meaning of the sentence is that: OT rules were developed to help doctors decide whether a patient should be offerd an x-ray BECAUSE only 5% of patients (before the OT rules)actually had a fracture. Moreover these x-rays were costly and unnecessary.

when I read the option B I feel that 'Since' should be replaced by 'because' .

'Since' to me sounds incomplete here.

Is there a difference between the usage of 'Because and Since' - I read that "because" is used to show causation whereas "Since" is used to denote the passage of time period. Can these be used interchangeably?

Experts- Please help me solve this.

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:57 am
I found this information on the internet. Source: englishforums.com

1 as and since

As and since are used when the reason is already known to the listener/ reader, or when it is not the most important part of the sentence. As and since[ clauses often come at the beginning of sentences.

As its raining again, we'll have to stay at home.
Since he had not paid his bill, his electricity was cut off.

As- andsince-clauses are relatively formal: in an informal style, the same ideas are often expressed with so.

2 because

Because puts more emphasis on the reason, and most often introduces new information which is not known to the listener/ reader.