Applying for MBA with work experience in a medical field

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I've been working as an ultrasound technologist for 7 years. I just graduated with B.A. in Economics (overall GPA 3.60 and major GPA 3.81). I got 690 on my GMAT (taken once).
I do not have any experience in any other industry besides medicine. How can I use my experience in the medical field to differentiate myself from other applicants and make my case appealing to the ADCOM? Also, any program is asking potential candidates about their future contribution towards the learning experience in the classroom. How can I present my experience and background in a plausible manner?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:59 am
Hello lkokorina, thanks for your question.

Top MBA programs admit candidates with a variety of backgrounds. To me, your competitiveness will come down to the quality of your leadership experience in and out of work. Can you draw upon "moments" when you truly led: influenced others, drove results, and took initiative? It doesn't matter if you come from medicine, but the onus will be on you to call out those leadership aspects and achievements that you demonstrated in your work as an ultrasound technologist.

Also, you did not comment on your post-MBA goals. You will need to paint a picture that cohesively ties together your past, present, and future. Demonstrate to the admissions committees that your desired career path necessitates an MBA. Identify the specific gaps that stand between you and your short- and long-term goals (knowledge, skills, experiences, network, etc.) and show how business school would directly address those gaps. Given your background, I think you'll be able to highlight the gaps. You might have a tougher time connecting your future goals to your past career, but it can be done!

I hope this helps.

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php