Applying for 2012- any advice on top colleges

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi,

I am Vishal, I am a Chartered Accountant,Company Secretary and a CFA level 3 candidate. I gave my GMAT in January 2011 with with very minimal guidance and got a score of 620,since then I have started preparing and have enrolled for "Manhattan GMAT test series" and have been consistently getting a score of around 680. I have 3 years of work experience and I am currently working as a technical advisor in one the leading KPO's in India. I wanted to sit for GMAT again and would like to purse an MBA for the session 2012-2014. I would like to get some advice on the kind of colleges from where I can get a conversion incase it get a score of around 680. I want to do my MBA from top 20-30 colleges in the world though my primary preference would be ISB in India.

need advice.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:44 am
ISB strongly weighs the GMAT so you should try for a 700+.

What are your professional goals? This information will help us better guide you on some schools.

Thanks,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Siddharthpaul » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:57 am
Hi

Preparing and Setting goals helps a lot when applying to International B Schools.
1. Your GMAT scores will be ok at 680 but push hard for 700+. Depending on which college you want to go to, your score's competency can range from average to competent. So in that way you can make three ranges. Thats 650-680, 680-720, 720 plus.

2. Your overall work ex. is on the lower side. Again, you haven't described the things you have done, leadership, awards etc. in detail so I cannot comment in detail.

3. ISB is a very good college and it saves money too.

4. Balance GMAT scores for passing the basic filter of high ranked colleges.

5. Some of the colleges you might hit hard
Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, Emory, UNC, Rochester,ISB Hyderabad, India,IIM Ahmedabad, India, IPSEAD, Yale, UCLA, Texas Austin, Darden Virginia,

6 Keep visiting MBA.com and other sites like GMAC's stat site for good insights.

7. For ISB keep working on your extra-curricular, your CFA will be an added badge.

8. Strong essay is very important.
Siddharth Paul
IIM Calcutta
Indian Applicants, ThroughMBA.com

contact me : https://throughmba.com/contact/contacts/throughmba
Call me : +91-7873282250

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vishaljainsxc » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:15 pm
Hi Micheal/Sidharth,

Thanks for the reply....I have attached the details of my work experience. The profile that I am aiming is Investment Banking/ Business Consultancy. and I want to be eligible for the 2012-2014 session, just wanted some more details on cutoff date for 1st/2nd list.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
WORK EXPERIENCE.docx
(13.7 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Legendary Member
Followed by:22 members

by throughmba » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:13 am
hi Vishal, having gone through your work experience, you can start becoming a bit more specific about your career goals. With a prior knowledge of IFRS and having cleared CFA level 2, you can focus on a specific role i.e. risk role in the IBD division, if your interests are in that line.

we can discuss this in detail if you deem fit. regarding the deadlines, you can check the cut off dates at https://www.throughmba.com/application-d ... /default/0

in case, you want it in an excel file format, send me your mail id and i will send it over.
ThroughMBA Consulting
The No. 1 B-School Admission Consulting of U.K. is now the most Affordable.

https://throughmba.com
email : [email protected]

Alex Wilkins
Senior Admission Consultant, ThroughMBA.com
Panelist | MBA Admissions Achievers Meet
Interviewer | MIT Sloan | Former
Management Consultant | McKinsey & Company | Former

"Regardless of who you are or what you have been, You can make what you want to be."