Application Query

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

Application Query

by jerrykantrell » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:03 am
I am not really sure where this question belongs, so I pologize in advance if it is placed in the wrong section.

I work in Non-Profit, and I draw a measly 250 USD a month, but I live in a developing country so things aren't as bad as that figure suggests, will this adversely impact my chances of admission in any school ? especially the ones that ask for an estimate of your salary in the application ?

Thanks in advance guys.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:54 am
Dear Jerry,

Great question! The fact that you aren't earning much money shouldn't be much of a factor - even for those programs who ask for salary information. Admissions officers know that non-profit sector jobs often pay poorly - especially if one is living in a developing country where cost-of-living metrics are different than in the developed world. They key is what sort of experiences/leadership/team opportunities you've had and how you describe them in your applications.

On another note, for other non-traditional applicants who make less than their peers in more traditonal fields, keep in mind that the adcom will focus more on the trend in your salary then they will on the absolute number. In other words, the non-profit employee who goes from $20K/year to $40K/year may be viewed in the same light as the private equity analyst who goes from $80K to $160K, given that both have managed to double their earnings (presumably based on favorable performance, etc).

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by jerrykantrell » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:49 am
Thanks a lot Graham, that clears up things.

I would like to ask whether I can make out something positive that the adcom might be interested in hearing about from my experiences managing a micro-financing project in tribal areas ?

Once again; thank you for taking the time out to answer my silly doubts :)