Application process time

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Application process time

by riteshpatnaik » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:10 am
Hi,
I would like to know how much time should one give for application process. I am targeting only 1 yr courses. Mostly Indian and INSEAD. Given that the deadlines are Sep 2016 2nd week and I am yet to give my GMAT Test. Planning to give by July last week or August 1 week.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:17 pm
riteshpatnaik wrote:Hi,
I would like to know how much time should one give for application process. I am targeting only 1 yr courses. Mostly Indian and INSEAD. Given that the deadlines are Sep 2016 2nd week and I am yet to give my GMAT Test. Planning to give by July last week or August 1 week.
Ideal time for application process should be 1.5 - 2 months.
This would include writing your essay, preparing the resume, talking to you recommenders and filling in the application details.
Plan to give the GMAT no later than first week of August.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep1click » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:54 pm
Hi Ritesh,
I would say start now and start with multiple aspects of the application. It takes about 3 months to get seriously prepared for the GMAT exam. In addition, soul searching and thinking long and hard about how to differentiate yourself takes time. As you have less time than that (particularly as you are not leaving time for a retake), think about subsequent rounds and if you must, then get ready for a month of rigorous practice.
Start with a plan - in my view that would be about 3 hours a day (broken down into Quant and Verbal and then into each section). Even if that means, spending 25 mins on a section a day and 15 mins on the same section the second day, that way you are solving at least a few questions every day. Follow that up with taking a test once every week. Leave the actual practice test for the end (last fortnight) - they seem to be very predictive once you are closer to the date.
In parallel, start working on yourself - who are you, what makes you tick, what are your career goals, why do you need an MBA and researching schools by contacting alumni. Resumes are important but I think they don't need to be ready just yet (think about it about a fortnight away from the deadline). Line up your recommenders (at least 2) and tell them what you expect from them and when. Put in calendar invites for critical meetings with them.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Best of luck with your application and exam.
Indradeep
Director, OneClickPrep
https://www.oneclickprep.com
+61424853384 (WhatsApp or call)
Study in Australia - https://www.oneclickprep.com/study-and-w ... australia/
Watch our videos and blogs in https://www.oneclickprep.com/admissions-prep/
Using post MBA corporate and consulting experience to bring real world value to MBA Admissions

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:03 pm
Of course there is no "perfect" answer here- and many would say that doing both GMAT prep and application prep together for Sept 2016 deadlines means you will be busy for the next few months! Whenever undertaking such a big project it helps to break things down into smaller pieces. I'd say given the close date of the GMAT and the fact that your score may dictate the range of schools you select, I'd put a lot of effort there for next month. I would also carve out a smaller amount of time every day or two for school research. You don't mention your long term career goals- but I would start with that and then research programs that have good fits for your goals. We as admissions counselors at Stratus Prep would lead you through an introspective exercise that helps you unearth your strengths and themes that would help you in presenting a compelling application. Given that your timeframe is tight, you might benefit from such guidance. Please feel free to do a free consult with us from our StratusPrep.com home page if you'd like. Regardless of how you choose to prepare, know that it is a process that you want to take seriously and devote regular time each day to make your best case. Given the amount of $ and time you will be spending, you should make a serious effort in the preparations- and the bonus of this is that it will also help guide how you choose to get involved in business school and maximize your time there. Best of luck to you!

by riteshpatnaik » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:59 pm
Donna@StratusPrep wrote:Of course there is no "perfect" answer here- and many would say that doing both GMAT prep and application prep together for Sept 2016 deadlines means you will be busy for the next few months! Whenever undertaking such a big project it helps to break things down into smaller pieces. I'd say given the close date of the GMAT and the fact that your score may dictate the range of schools you select, I'd put a lot of effort there for next month. I would also carve out a smaller amount of time every day or two for school research. You don't mention your long term career goals- but I would start with that and then research programs that have good fits for your goals. We as admissions counselors at Stratus Prep would lead you through an introspective exercise that helps you unearth your strengths and themes that would help you in presenting a compelling application. Given that your timeframe is tight, you might benefit from such guidance. Please feel free to do a free consult with us from our StratusPrep.com home page if you'd like. Regardless of how you choose to prepare, know that it is a process that you want to take seriously and devote regular time each day to make your best case. Given the amount of $ and time you will be spending, you should make a serious effort in the preparations- and the bonus of this is that it will also help guide how you choose to get involved in business school and maximize your time there. Best of luck to you!
Thanks for your valuable advice. I have actually worked on the aspects of Why 2nd MBA and Why THAT school. I have a 2 yr MBA in Marketing and Currently a Senior Consultant in MNC Engineering,Management and Development Consulting Firm. Looking to break into strategy consulting or General Strategy Planning

by riteshpatnaik » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:06 pm
Showmethemantra wrote:Hi Ritesh,
I would say start now and start with multiple aspects of the application. It takes about 3 months to get seriously prepared for the GMAT exam. In addition, soul searching and thinking long and hard about how to differentiate yourself takes time. As you have less time than that (particularly as you are not leaving time for a retake), think about subsequent rounds and if you must, then get ready for a month of rigorous practice.
Start with a plan - in my view that would be about 3 hours a day (broken down into Quant and Verbal and then into each section). Even if that means, spending 25 mins on a section a day and 15 mins on the same section the second day, that way you are solving at least a few questions every day. Follow that up with taking a test once every week. Leave the actual practice test for the end (last fortnight) - they seem to be very predictive once you are closer to the date.
In parallel, start working on yourself - who are you, what makes you tick, what are your career goals, why do you need an MBA and researching schools by contacting alumni. Resumes are important but I think they don't need to be ready just yet (think about it about a fortnight away from the deadline). Line up your recommenders (at least 2) and tell them what you expect from them and when. Put in calendar invites for critical meetings with them.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Best of luck with your application and exam.
Thanks a ton. I shall take your advice. A brief background of myself. I am a 33 yr old Male with 8 yr of experience a Mechanical Engineer and an MBA in Marketing ( both Indian Universities) I am currently working as a Senior Consultant in a Engineering, Management and Development Consulting Firm ( MNC- HO in Croydonand spread across 140 countries). I am looking for a 2nd MBA ( 1 yr) to break in Strategy roles

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:10 pm
Thanks for sharing.

GMAT prep would depend on how prepared you are for standardized tests at this point and how much time and effort you can put in. Targeting the Sep deadline would mean that you would likely have to put in bigger blocks of time and extensive energy on this the few weeks. Concentrate on this as your score will affect your chances at your target schools and will guide your decisions, as well. This is doable, but you would need to make consistent progress from hereon.

As a "break" from the GMAT preparation, start reflecting on your goals, experiences, motivations, and passions, and how you would address the essay prompts, jot down notes, research on details, and start with some bullet points. This will come in handy later on, as it will help fill your essays with personal and compelling details.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:17 am
INSEAD is an extensive application and will take 4-6 weeks in a compressed timeframe. However, you seem to be done with most of your GMAT Prep if you are planning to take it in the last week of July. Use the time available now to parallel process a little and you should be able to get there.

Also, do remember - a strong application takes precedence over applying in an earlier round.

Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:59 pm
Hi,
For Ideal Timeline for MBA Application, please visit: https://aringo.com/ideal-timeline-for-mba-application/