Application Advice: Solid Work Experience/ Avg GMAT

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,

First, let me give my appreciation for your time and consideration on my information. I just took the GMAT on Sat. Scored a 650 (Q 44, V 35). I've been out of school since '03, went to good university, 3.2 finance major (categorized as a top public regional university), been working within the financial services industry for the last 7 years, of which 5+ have been with two big 4 firms. Four of the 5+ hrs have been in a consulting role, and recently promoted to manager.

My target schools: Rd 1 Duke, Georgetown (only schools i have a shot at doing round 1 for)
Potential Rd 2: Northwestern, UVA, Michigan, Columbia, UNC

I hoping my experience will put me within striking distance for most of these b/c my GMAT is on the lower part of the avg 50-80% of what these schools have been receiving.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:59 am
kidboc1 -
Thanks for sharing your questions. I think that there are many applicants who face a similar quandry.
In general, I feel that your professional growth and trajectory matters much more than your GMAT score. Unfortunately, your GMAT score is basically average and your GMAT is as well, so together they do not do much to bolster your chances at the schools you mention.
However, your career progress to date sounds pretty strong. But, you do not really go into your career goals post-MBA and how obtaining your MBA will help you reach your goals. This important to really nail down in order to maximize your career "theme" in your essays. I also encourage you to work with your recommenders who can also share their insights into your career potential and growth.
As for the schools you mention - I think you have a shot at Georgetown, and Duke is a bit more of a reach. For Round 2, Columbia, Kellogg and Darden seem like more of reach schools for you than UNC or Michigan.
Again, without knowing more about your personal story or extracurricular activities, this is my initial instinct.\
Best of luck to you -
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kidboc1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:34 pm
Thanks for your insight.

I plan to concentrate in Marketing to complement my consulting/operations background in order to obtain a post-mba industry position (consumer goods) within Market/Corporate Strategy or Brand Management.

One follow up...I know its only rankings based, but why do you say UVA, Duke are more reach schools than UofM?

I've thought about taking the GMAT again, but I don't feel scoring, saying 50 pts higher and getting a 700 would make me more qualified to attend a business school. I could see if I scored a 580, but I just don't see the value...i guess that's where the recommendations and essays come into play. Thoughts?