Analysis of Issue - Can someone please rate?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Analysis of Issue - Can someone please rate?

by rosh26 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:44 am
ESSAY QUESTION:
“Monetary compensation is the most powerful stimulus for improving employee productivity.”

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the position stated above. Support your viewpoint using reasons and examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

YOUR RESPONSE:
Although monetary compensation is a factor in improving employee productivity, I do not agree that it is the most powerful stimulus for improving productivity. In fact, from my own personal experience I can prove that monetary compensation is not the main factor in my productivity. Also, there are many other aspects of a job that motivates workers even more than salary, such as benefits, a positive environment, a respectful boss, or simply just loving what you do. I will discuss all of these different factors in my argument below.

First of all, in my own personal experience I know that monetary compensation is not the most powerful stimulus for productivity. About 6 months ago, I started a new job that paid even less than the job I switched from. However, there were so many other aspects in this new position that I really enjoyed. The building was brand new, and filled with vibrant colors. Even when I walked into the building for the interview I really felt that I would love working in this building. Also, the atmosphere is very laid back, which was a big change from the stringent environment I came from. Finally, I enjoy working with everyone on my team immensely. I have definitely noticed that I am more motivated and productive in this job than I have been at my last job or any other jobs prior. I know it is because I am happy, even though I make less money. Thus, from my own personal experience, monetary compensation is not the most powerful stimulus for improving productivity.

In addition, great benefits are another factor that many people weigh over monetary compensation. If they have a robust benefits package, and know that they will always be taken care of (in terms of medical, dental, etc.) they feel a peace of mind and that is more motivating than monetary compensation can ever be. They feel that their workplace takes care of them, and thus give back by increasing their productivity.

Finally, there are two other factors that I believe outweighs monetary compensation. The first is a great manager. When you have a manager you get along with, feel comfortable with, and really respect, you want to do the best you possibly can. Even if you are compensated with positive feedback, and not a huge bonus, you still feel that it is important to put your best foot forward because you don't want to ever dissapoint your boss, with whom you have had a very positive relationship. The second factor that I believe is stronger than monetary compensation is when you genuinely like that you do day in and day out. Some people may take this for granted, but for those that haven't liked their jobs in the past know how rare it is to truly like what you do. Some employees are productive because they like what they do, and are good at what they do. Monetary compensation may not even be a factor in their productivity. For example, most musicians and artists are not really compensated well unless they "make it big". However, they are usually motivated to play music or draw artwork because they genuinely love what they do.

In conclusion, I disagree with the position above for several reasons. In my own example I showed how monetary compensation is not really a factor in my productivity, and in fact I am more productive at my new job even though I am not compensated as well. Also, it is important to take into consideration many other factors that may motivate employees well over salary such as benefits, a great manager, a positive environmeny, or simply just loving what you do everyday. Although monetary compensation is necessary as one cannot live without it, it is definitely not the most powerful stimulus for improving employee productivity.