An economic recession

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

An economic recession

by logitech » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:33 pm
An economic recession can result from a lowering of employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending and starts a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.

a lowering of employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending and start a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.

a lowering of employment rates triggered by dropping investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending and starts a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.

falling employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which cause cutbacks in consumer spending, starting a cycle of layoffs that lead to even lower employment rates.

falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in investment, causing people to cut consumer spending and starting a cycle of layoffs that lead back to even lower employment rates.

falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in investment, causing cutbacks in consumer spending and starting a cycle of layoffs leading to even lower employment rates.

This question was discussed before but I am not convinced yet with the explanations. Lets give it a try one more time.
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:42 pm

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by raajan_p » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:44 pm
I am going with Option E.

Usage of the words 'people' and consumer' in "people to cut consumer spending" is redundant...

So, I eliminated A, B and D..

Between C and E, i went for E because in C, the word 'which' incorrectly refers to 'investment' instead of 'falling employment rates' which was the reason for cutbacks in consumer spending.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: An economic recession

by karmayogi » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:24 pm
IMO E

1. 'Falling...rates' is better than 'a lowering of ... rates'
2. 'people to cut consumer spending', sounds like people are acting on something rather than restraining themselves.
3. 'which cause' refers back to 'investment' while the intention is 'rates'

Eliminates A, B, C & D.

One doubt: Definitely E is the best among the lot but isn't the use of 'that' in '...rates that ...triggered by...' is restricting the cause of falling employment rates? That means, an economic recession cannot result from any falling employment rates other than the one caused by drop in investment.
Each soul is potentially divine. The goal is to manifest this divine within.
--By Swami Vivekananda

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:37 pm
rates triggered by a drop in investment VS rates that are triggered by a drop in investment

I would go with rates triggered so we can eliminate D & E

Any objections ?
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

by karmayogi » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:53 pm
logitech wrote:rates triggered by a drop in investment VS rates that are triggered by a drop in investment

I would go with rates triggered so we can eliminate D & E

Any objections ?
My doubt was also same. To me, 'rates triggered' is better than 'rates that are triggered', but what about 'which causes' in A, B and C? If we replace 'which cause' with simple 'causing' in option C then I will go for C.
Each soul is potentially divine. The goal is to manifest this divine within.
--By Swami Vivekananda

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by raajan_p » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:56 pm
logitech wrote:An economic recession can result from a lowering of employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending and starts a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.

a lowering of employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending and start a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.

a lowering of employment rates triggered by dropping investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending and starts a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.

falling employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which cause cutbacks in consumer spending, starting a cycle of layoffs that lead to even lower employment rates.

falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in investment, causing people to cut consumer spending and starting a cycle of layoffs that lead back to even lower employment rates.

falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in investment, causing cutbacks in consumer spending and starting a cycle of layoffs leading to even lower employment rates.

This question was discussed before but I am not convinced yet with the explanations. Lets give it a try one more time.
Logitech - Just a Clarification...

I found a similar question in Manhattan website but with different words for Choice C. This is wat I saw out there...

An economic recession can result from a lowering of employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending and starts a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.

A. a lowering of employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending and start a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.
B. a lowering of employment rates triggered by dropping investment, which cause people to cut consumer spending and starts a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.
C. falling employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, causing cutbacks in consumer spending and starting a cycle of layoffs that lead to even lower employment rates.
D. falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in investment, causing people to cut consumer spending and starting a cycle of layoffs that lead back to even lower employment rates.
E. falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in investment, that cause cutbacks in consumer spending and the start of a cycle of layoffs leading to even lower employment rates.

So, just thought of confirming if the word "which" comes as a part of this question.

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by sudhir3127 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:54 pm
raajan_p wrote:
logitech wrote:An economic recession can result from a lowering of employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending and starts a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.

Logitech - Just a Clarification...

I found a similar question in Manhattan website but with different words for Choice C. This is wat I saw out there...

A. a lowering of employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending and start a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.
B. a lowering of employment rates triggered by dropping investment, which cause people to cut consumer spending and starts a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.
C. falling employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, causing cutbacks in consumer spending and starting a cycle of layoffs that lead to even lower employment rates.
D. falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in investment, causing people to cut consumer spending and starting a cycle of layoffs that lead back to even lower employment rates.
E. falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in investment, that cause cutbacks in consumer spending and the start of a cycle of layoffs leading to even lower employment rates.

So, just thought of confirming if the word "which" comes as a part of this question.

Thanks!
if this is how the question shud read or reads..... i would go for C ..

other wise E

by pbanavara » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:10 am
I think keeping parallelism in consideration "falling" ... "causing" and "starting" - option E is the only one that stands correct.

Falling employment rates should parallel cutbacks in spending .. causing people to cutback their spending doesn't chime well

- pradeep

by Tryingmybest » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:46 pm
IMO C.

Choices A, B,D and E make use of " and " for two dependent clauses . This is wrong.

The portion in bold is not an independent clause. It needs the subject drop in investment, so and is inappropriate.
The portion in bold is not an independent clause. It needs the subject drop in investment.

Correct

Please let me know if there is anything wrong in my explanation.

by Spring2009 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:47 am
Not C.
"falling employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which cause cutbacks"
The correct verb tense should be "causes", not "cause", hence C is not correct.
I'm pretty confused between D and E, but IMO E is the answer because "people" is redundant.