Ambiguous interview question

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

Ambiguous interview question

by partenac » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:13 am
I just had an MBA interview and one of the questions I received has been bugging me. After discussing my academic experience, career progression, and finally MBA short and long term goals, the interviewer asks me...

"Do you see yourself being an executive?"

Think on that for about 30 seconds...

It seems like a baited question. I never once mentioned my desire to be an executive or rise up the corporate ladder during my discussion of MBA goals, either in the interview or my essays. I'm a scientist by profession and my MBA goals are related to the commercialization of a particular scientific product. I could formulate a number of different interpretations of what the purpose of the question could be, but I thought I'd post it here. I'll post what my response to the question was AFTER people have had a chance to comment.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:15 pm
Dear partenac,

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to the question, per se, nor do I think it was a trick question. Many folks go to business school to advance their careers which usually translates to being in upper management (i.e., executive ranks) of an organization. Even small shops with less than 10 people have an executive--someone has to be in charge. I think being an "executive" can be different for different people and really boils down to leadership. All business schools are looking for future business leaders. So in your case, if you are looking to commercialize a scientific product, what do you see as your role in that venture? Are you going to be the CEO? the CTO? Based on your post, I would bet you handled the question fine, but I am curious to hear how you answered.

Cheers,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me