by nwone111 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:52 pm
GMAT 640
Q-49(88%) V-28(48%)
AWA-4.5

electronics and telecomm engineering graduate score GPA of 7.66/10

Total wrk experience -2 years

Indian -23-working as a Peoplesoft ERP consultant for 2 yrs in IBM India
worked in Finance modules for 20 months and HR modules for 4 months

Job roles - Understanding,implementing and designing business processes as per client requrements, proposing and delivering solutions to clients,interacting with clients (didnot play a client facing role . only interacted through mail / telephonic conversations).
Have worked in Peoplesoft General Ledger,Asset managment,Accounts Payable,Travel and Expenses,Purchasing,Project Costing modules. Have designed/re-designed several monthly accrual processes in Finance.
Currently working on HR modules - Benefit enrollments,core HR and Payroll.

Achievements/Accomplishments:
Have proposed 2 business process improvement ideas to client as a part of "Ideas" program in IBM.Out of those 1 has been implemented and 1 is under review.

Extra curriculars other than Job roles: Have been a route leader for the transportation facility for employees in IBM for a location.

Have participated in a national level Business Idea competition hosted by indiatimes.com-submitted 2 business ideas.

Have a clear functional knowledge of those modules mentioned above and it was my work in finance modules encouraged me to know more by doing an MBA.

Please let me know my chances (if any) in these colleges also recommend me to some colleges if you feel.My GMAT score is low,but it is next to impossible to retake it because of my job pressure.

NUS
HKSUT
ISB hyderabad India
INSEAD (paris /singapore)
Melbourne Business School

please let me know if any other colleges I should be applying , My last option would be retaking the GMAT.

Thanks in Advance

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Sun May 31, 2009 1:07 am
Dear nwone111,

Thanks for your post!

The short answer to your question is that you might be competitive at some of the programs on your list (HKUST, Melbourne, NUS) with a strong set of application materials (essays, recs, etc), but when it comes to INSEAD and ISB, your GMAT result as well as some other areas likely fall shy of the mark. In fact, no matter which schools you consider, I am a bit worried about the verbal percentile you recevied (48th), as this could suggest that your verbal communications skills aren't where they need to be for business school/a managerial career. Poor performance on the verbal section also plays into the 'techie' stereotype (e.g. that engineers are "good with numbers, not with people") - something you will need to dispell in your application materials.

Beyond the issue with the GMAT, keep in mind that you are coming from an over-represented portion of the applicant pool (Indian, male, engineer). This raises the level of competition you will face in the process. More broadly, it sounds like you are on the low-end in terms of years of work experience and I didn't get a good sense of the extent of your XCs from your post (or at least of any XCs that aren't related to work or business in general).

As to your final question - about recommending additional programs - I'd actually need to have a better sense as to what your goals are post-MBA. In what sector do you hope to work? In what capacity/role? In what region of the world?

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.