Am i ready for the exam?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Am i ready for the exam?

by golu23 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:37 am
Hi guys I have been preparing for GMAT From at least a year now and i have given GMAT twice and i have score very low marks "350" on both of the exams. Now with the help of MANHATTAN GMAT books and you guys who have helped me a lot in clarifying my doubts,i have given GMAT PREP tests.
When i first started giving the test i scored a mere 380,then as my doubts got clarified i started scoring more.Here are my following score from my previous tests of GMAT prep 390,420,470,790,520,570,530,and recently 580. Now i want to go to USA for MS in Finance and i am planning to take a date on 2nd February so i can finish my application process within deadlines.Please suggest what should i do?

Thanx

Moderator comments: [Moving it to the appropriate forum]

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by pemdas » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:37 am
you will surely cross 400 score line, but what's your target? If your school requires above 400 or average 450 then go for test, otherwise build a solid prep plan and execute it. You seem to be very ambitious in your graduate plans, but from what I know about MS in Finance programs in the US, some require GRE quant high 80 percentiles some require GMAT score minimum 500. I am not sure you are going to score 500 at this time; you may come closer, like 460 or 470 but I doubt you score the even 500 not saying more. You did GMAT Prep multiple times and the score ranges you list here are all inflated. Please, kindly consider this text as the BTG fellow feedback on your intention to sit for GMAT on Feb.02
golu23 wrote:Hi guys I have been preparing for GMAT From at least a year now and i have given GMAT twice and i have score very low marks "350" on both of the exams. Now with the help of MANHATTAN GMAT books and you guys who have helped me a lot in clarifying my doubts,i have given GMAT PREP tests.
When i first started giving the test i scored a mere 380,then as my doubts got clarified i started scoring more.Here are my following score from my previous tests of GMAT prep 390,420,470,790,520,570,530,and recently 580. Now i want to go to USA for MS in Finance and i am planning to take a date on 2nd February so i can finish my application process within deadlines.Please suggest what should i do?

Thanx
Success doesn't come overnight!

Followed by:2 members

by transfer9858 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:40 pm
Regardless, thats a very big improvement... congrats!

by luiscarlos59 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:01 pm
I have to tell you that you are probably not ready. By taking the GMATprep more than 2 times you will start to see the same questions and you will know the answers which will inflate your score.

I did the same mistake and thought that by getting +650 on the gmatpreps was a real indicator of my score, when I was actually just inflating "my real me". So when i took the real one i got a 500.

Im taking now different CATs from different sources so I can more or less see what's my real score.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:40 am
Hi luiscarlos59,

Firstly we would say that stay positive and such anxieties are common during exam preparation
time. Juggling between work and studies is tough so you need to define a significant time for your
GMAT preparation. Sometimes taking few days off work for preparing for the GMAT can help a
person tremendously. If you have time this may not be a bad idea. Take practise GMAT tests to see
how you are doing. If you cannot do that don't worry. What might work instead is to set aside 1-2 hours at night on weekdays and major part of your weekend to study and prepare for GMAT-
in this case we will suggest a good 2-3 months preparation. However we recommend you to keep
taking practise tests to gauge your performance. It will help you in identifying your weak areas
and you can focus on them accordingly. You might be able to study more than the given hours and
that would take you less than 2-3 months. It all depends on your potential really.

There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. You might need to change your
practise style and try this combination to provide you flexibility and different styles to practise so it doesn't get monotonous.

It could be combination of-

1-Books- Books like- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal
Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review etc could be used.

2-Online Study Guide: Websites like Knewton, Grockit etc provide you with practise questions
online.

3-Smart phone applications- Kaplan, Veritas etc offer applications to prepare for GMAT on your
smart phones

Followed by:1 members

by golu23 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:31 am
Hi pemdas thnx for ur advise of all the schools i have checked they range from 500-580.I am a little bit afraid of DATA SUFFICIENCY and CRITICAL REASONING to be really frank on the exam especially of DS questions.