alt transcript

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

alt transcript

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:15 am
Hello

Im applying for biz schools for fall 2013 and most schools deadline are between march-may. I want to build an alt transcript bc i dont have a strong quant background and a low gmat math score. I can take two classes this fall (accounting and micro econ) at one school or calculus at another. Which do you think i should do? I have an adv statistics course already and got a B+ in it so dont think i need to take that. Would two courses look better than one ? Please let me know, i appreciate it!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by youngjames » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:01 am
first of all, don't take calc. it's difficult, not as relevant to MBA schools, and could become time consuming.

if i were you, i'd focus on acctg or finance. acctg BEFORE finance is recommended, so you can ensure a good grade in both, but if you don't have time (which it seems like you don't), i'd take them both together. as you make this decision, consider: 1) make sure you ACE THESE CLASSES. if you fear you won't, bad grades will only further strengthen a view that you have difficulty or aversion to quant/math; 2) pick smthg you think you have an affinity toward, so that you won't spend too much time working on your homework to the detriment of developing your actual applications.

having taken stats is a good thing. that's a bit more relevant to b school, depending on where you go, so even though you didn't ace it, at least you built some foundational skills that will help you once you're at HBS ;)

hope that's helpful
-james young
www.TheFirstRead.com
A new approach to MBA Admissions consulting

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:52 am
thanks James for the great response!