Almost 32 at matriculation? Too old for FT MBA?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
On several forums, I've read that my age is a huge disadvantage and I should only try Part-time MBA programs.
I am an engineer in the silicon valley with 9 years of work experience.
GMAT - 740
Age - 31 now. 31 years 10 months (2 months short of 32) at matriculation
Under Grad GPA - 2.8 from top 10 engineering
Gender - Female
Nationality - India
Work Exp - Engineer for 9 years

Applying this year for Fall 2013.

What US schools can I try for?
In Europe, what schools go for older applicants?

Thanks for the help immensely.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:09 am
Hello monikajudd, thanks for your question.

I don't think there is a formula for what is too old. Your age is a potential challenge, but is not necessarily a dealbreaker. In the US, programs like Wharton and Booth will be more tolerant of more experienced candidates. And, as you know, European schools in general are more accepting, as well.

I think the bigger challenges for you, Monika, would be to explain your GPA, which is on the low side, and to differentiate yourself from your demographic, which includes many experienced engineers.

Age is certainly one criterion, but leadership potential trumps that, I believe. Hence, I think your competitiveness will ultimately come down to the quality of your leadership experience in and out of work. Can you draw upon "moments" when you truly led: influenced individuals and organizations, drove results, took initiative?

You haven't mentioned post-MBA goals. You will need to paint a picture that cohesively ties together your past, present, and future. Demonstrate to the admissions committees that your desired career path necessitates an MBA. If you can justify why you are applying to business school at this stage of your career, then that might mitigate your age.

I hope this helps!

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php