All gone South !!! Need advice..

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:680

All gone South !!! Need advice..

by Taran » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:29 am
Hi Gmatters,

I have just 2 weeks left for my GMAT but i'm seriously thinking about shifting my date to August. I started preparing in December last year with a score of 510. Since then, I have been able to reach only 600 but need a solid 700+ for the schools that i intend to study at. I dont know what to do. I'm also getting married in April :) , so cannot really study in March. I shall be able to get back to books by May again, and i request your advice as to how i should attack this exam then.

I dont know why but i feel sad for deciding to postpone it. It is as if i'm quitting before trying.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by txjustin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:17 am
I am in a very similar situation as you so I look forward to further replies.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by hja379 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:47 pm
Taran wrote:Hi Gmatters,

I have just 2 weeks left for my GMAT but i'm seriously thinking about shifting my date to August. I started preparing in December last year with a score of 510. Since then, I have been able to reach only 600 but need a solid 700+ for the schools that i intend to study at. I dont know what to do. I'm also getting married in April :) , so cannot really study in March. I shall be able to get back to books by May again, and i request your advice as to how i should attack this exam then.

I dont know why but i feel sad for deciding to postpone it. It is as if i'm quitting before trying.
First of all congratulations. There are better things in life than GMAT. Don't forget that. I was in a similar situation and I postponed the exam as my scores on the CATs weren't reflective of my target score. I am going to be brutally honest with you, it would be very hard to get 700+ score (in 2 weeks) if you are at 600 level. Think of the prep so far as warm up, come back and with a full force.. "beat the gmat".
Google "GMAT Pill"<--really helpful, worth checking out--especially for RC passages.
e-gmat SC: Never thought it would be fun learning SC.
India School Fund: Education through Innovation - A HBS start-up.

by Taran » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:55 pm
@hja: Thanks a lot. I am thinking of staying in touch with the preparation though, so that i do not end up starting at ground zero again. How do you think it can be done? I am thinking of subscribing to BTG 'daily math and verbal question' so that i can atleast spend few minutes on gmat studies.

@txjustin: Does your similar situation include your marriage too :)?

by txjustin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:29 am
Yes it does. I'm getting married April 30th.

by Taran » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 pm
@txjustin: Congratulations man !! So are you taking Gmat before or after the marriage?

by txjustin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:08 am
I was planning on taking it before I get married, but I don't think I'm going to be ready. This is coming along rather slow with me.

by hja379 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:12 pm
Taran wrote:@hja: Thanks a lot. I am thinking of staying in touch with the preparation though, so that i do not end up starting at ground zero again. How do you think it can be done? I am thinking of subscribing to BTG 'daily math and verbal question' so that i can atleast spend few minutes on gmat studies.
That probably is good for you. Time away from all the hustle and bustle of an Indian wedding :-)
Google "GMAT Pill"<--really helpful, worth checking out--especially for RC passages.

by Taran » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:39 pm
Are you kidding me !! Indian marriages dont give any 'free' time. Everyone just sits on the head and orders what to do. Meanwhile, how did you figure out that i was having an Indian Marriage. Does my name makes it obvious :)
Where are you getting married?

by baumausholz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:25 pm
Tons of congratz to the two fiancees!

Its always good to read about something else then GMAT Scores, GMAT Success/fail stories or best the GMAT tactics.
Your stories help me to remember, that the test won´t be consuming all of my life forever and that there are more important things.

-- Even when I have to accept not having time to go out and meet women in the next weeks.

Stupid **§§$Ü$$&%/&`*** test! Haven´t time for anything.

by hja379 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:18 am
Taran wrote:Are you kidding me !! Indian marriages dont give any 'free' time. Everyone just sits on the head and orders what to do. Meanwhile, how did you figure out that i was having an Indian Marriage. Does my name makes it obvious :)
Where are you getting married?
The location below your name says India.