Alexander Calder

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Alexander Calder

by rohit9359 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:21 am
Q. Sculptor Alexander Calder, who often made use of old pieces of junk in his art and also believed in recycling at home; he once turned a broken goblet into a dinner bell and a cake mold into a lamp.
(A) Sculptor Alexander Calder, who often made use of old pieces of junk in his art and also believed in recycling at home; he
(B) Alexander Calder, for whom old pieces of junk was often made into sculpture, believed in recycling at home and
(C) A believer in recycling at home, sculptor Alexander Calder often made use for old pieces of junk in his art; he
(D) Alexander Calder, for whom sculpture was often made from old pieces of junk, also believed in recycling at home, for example, he
(E) Sculptor Alexander Calder, who often made use of old pieces of junk in his art, also believed in recycling at home; he

OA is [spoiler](E)[/spoiler]. Why not [spoiler](C)[/spoiler]?

Thanks,
Rohit.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:19 am
IMO, the reason is

C- made use "for"
E - made use "of"

"of" is the correct usage here.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Optimus Prime » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:04 am
I have a doubt here

In E, ",who..," acts as non essential modifier & thus sentence without the modifier should also be fine.

But "Sculptor Alexander Calder also believed in recycling at home" does not seem right to me

Ron, could u pls explain

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:40 am
I honestly do not think this is a quality question.
Yep.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:42 pm
I see where the inspiration of this question came from...

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

(A) were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

(B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

(C) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, was also inspirational to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was different significantly in comparision to

(D) was influencial to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to

(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of
Yep.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:38 am
Optimus Prime wrote:I have a doubt here

In E, ",who..," acts as non essential modifier & thus sentence without the modifier should also be fine.

But "Sculptor Alexander Calder also believed in recycling at home" does not seem right to me

Ron, could u pls explain
nah, this is ok.
in a sentence that includes a nonessential modifier, it's still ok to introduce transition words (esp. adverbs such as "also", or miscellaneous transitions such as "as well") into the main part of the sentence in order to bolster the sentence's logic. this is perfectly fine.

i've not seen this question before and so i can't vouch for the general credibility of the source, but this question is just fine.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:42 am
the primary reason why (c) is incorrect is the unidiomatic use of "made use for". (the correct idiom is "made use of".)
it's possible to say something like "created a use for" or "came up with a use for", but not "made use for".

the opening modifier of (c) is horribly awkward, and also isn't really used in the right way. if you open a sentence with an appositive like that, then the appositive should have something to do with the content of the following clause.
viz., from og11 #72 -- i can't reproduce the whole problem, but it's fair use to reproduce this part:
"Architects and stonemasons, the Maya built..."
in this case, the appositive actually makes sense, since the maya's identity as architects and stonemasons is intimately connected with their having built things.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by frank1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:40 am
A is incorrect just for the use of extra 'and'

can somebody put some light over it.....how and what kind of difference does it make...

i felt it was more clear and precise with 'and' actually
thanks
GMAT score is equally counted as your GPA and 78 clicks can change you life.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:30 am
frank1 wrote:A is incorrect just for the use of extra 'and'

can somebody put some light over it.....how and what kind of difference does it make...

i felt it was more clear and precise with 'and' actually
thanks
A uses a semicolon. A semicolon is used to separate two independent clauses. Look at the part left of the semicolon.
Sculptor Alexander Calder <modifier> ;
Essentially this part contains the subject but no verb. Hence, it is not a clause. Use of semicolon is thus incorrect.

I do not see any major issues with the use of and in A.
scio me nihil scire

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:19 pm
niksworth wrote:I do not see any major issues with the use of and in A.
i think whoever wrote that comment (about "and") was just noting the fact that the construction with "and" is a sentence fragment, and that replacing "and" with a comma creates the correct answer (e).

the parallel construction created by this "and" ("made use ... and ... believed") is perfectly parallel.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:46 am
Yep. Thanks Ron. Now it is clear why the use of and created a confusion, even though there is nothing ungrammatical about it.
scio me nihil scire

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kuiper » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:55 pm
Ron,

I am sorry but I did not understand the reason behind using a comma before 'also' in E versus the use of 'and also' in A, which is incorrect.

Is it just redundancy in the sentence?

Thank you