Agreement

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Agreement

by missionGMAT007 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:14 am
Hello,
The below sentence is correct as given.

While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they are potentially devastating for homeowners, whose equity - in many cases representing a life's savings - can plunge or even disappear

Can you please enlighten me on how 'they' properly refer back to 'property values' not to 'investors'. I am really confused

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by vishal1702 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:50 am
they are potentially devastating for homeowners is not a modifier here but rather part of the comparison...dont forget the while in the starting of the sentence....therefore they correctly refers back to depressed property values respecting the parallelism of the sentence....

Hope this helps...

Re: Agreement

by madhur_ahuja » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:51 am
missionGMAT007 wrote:Hello,
The below sentence is correct as given.

While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they are potentially devastating for homeowners, whose equity - in many cases representing a life's savings - can plunge or even disappear

Can you please enlighten me on how 'they' properly refer back to 'property values' not to 'investors'. I am really confused
This is because, investors is very near to be correctly referred by they.

It may sound odd but I have read somewhere about this rule. Had the intention of sentence was to refer investors, its structure then would have been altogether different.

by missionGMAT007 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:40 am
Hello,
Can you please elaborate a bit more providing some examples. I think that will help.
thanks