Advice Needed - 690 GMAT

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:690

Advice Needed - 690 GMAT

by togrey12 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:42 pm
Thank you in advance for your help - it is greatly appreciated.

I recently took my GMAT, scoring a 690 (43Q/41V) - unbalanced - (68%V/92%Q). My undergraduate GPA is strong at 3.9 (Finance major), and I have spent the past 3 years at a well known consulting firm.

I'm currently targeting Kenan-Flagler, Darden, Fuqua, Kelley and Kellog, but I have some concern about the low quant score.

My study plan was intensive for 3 months, so I'm quite burned out and would find it hard to quickly improve in my math. With a strong application and good LORs (I know alumni at all schools targeted), can my GMAT score hold up?

Thanks again for all your input.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:32 pm
Dear togrey12,

I think you are within range for your target schools. Your 690 is close to the average for your target schools and your GPA is above average. With the high quant score, your GMAT will probably not be a concern. Of course, you can always take it again, but I'm not convinced you need to with your GPA and consulting experience. Since admissions decisions are based on more than the numbers, your essays, recommendations, and interviews are critical to the ultimate decision. These components give you another chance to shine and make your case for a seat in the class. Be sure to convey your successful leadership and teamwork experiences in your essays as well as a solid rationale for getting your MBA in relation to your past experiences and future career goals.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by togrey12 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:18 am
Thanks very much Lisa - your comments really help.

I just noticed I made a typo on my post, however. My quant was 68% and verbal was 92% - quite the typo. Does this change the outlook?

Despite the average performance in quant, my coursework concentrated on finance, heavy in quantitative analysis.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:05 pm
I still think you have a shot with a 690. You could always take the test again and only send it to your target schools if your score goes up. Since your target schools are highly selective, raising your raw quant score closer to 50 would strengthen your application.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by togrey12 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:29 am
Thanks for your help - much appreciated!