Admissions Profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Admissions Profile

by UCwannabe » Mon May 26, 2008 5:46 am
I have a low undregraduate GPA. I havent checked but I believe that it is somewhere around 2.6 percent. Any chance I can get into UCLA?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kjm84 » Mon May 26, 2008 6:08 am
If you check out UCLA's 2009 class profile, you'll notice that UCLA didn't admit anyone with a GPA below 2.8. Based on this bit of information, it seems unlikely that UCLA would admit anyone with a 2.6 GPA. Scoring well on the GMAT and developing an alternative transcript might help mitigate the effects of your low undergraduate GPA, but the odds are against you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue May 27, 2008 5:23 am
Dear UCwannabe,

I'm not sure what you mean by "2.6 percent" GPA. If I assume, as did kjm84, that you mean a 2.6 GPA (on a 4.0 scale), then I think your chances are diminished for UCLA. As decisions are not made on GPA alone, it is possible you might still get in but that would depend on how the rest of your application looks as well as why your GPA is a 2.6, what school you attended, and what your major was.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Admissions

by UCwannabe » Tue May 27, 2008 8:48 pm
Lisa,

Thank you for responding to my original post. I should have taken more time before submitting my question, I apologize.

I am in the process of studying for the GMAT. I am training for a high score as I am aware that my GPA is not very encouraging. I am targeting UCLA's part time program, I have to atleast try. Regardless of the school a part time program is a must for me. Are part time programs easier to get into? Also, could you please give me your thoughts on my profile below?

I graduated from University of Maryland, College Park with a degree in Economics. My GPA is approximately 2.6. My previous job was in Consumer Banking where I excelled. I am currently working for a regulatory company that monitors the stock market.

I am currently trying to get a small business of the ground. I am a member of the United States Tennis Association and Montgomery County Tennis Association.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed May 28, 2008 5:16 am
Dear UCwannabe,

Part time programs are not necessarily "easier" to get into, especially at schools like UCLA and USC. It is more correct to say they evaluate applications a little differently. The slight difference is around work experience in that part time programs are designed for professionals wishing to remain in their current career track.

Regardless of what program you apply to, you need to score the highest you can on the GMAT to balance your 2.6 GPA. I would also encourage you to highlight your career progression and professional accomplishments in your resume and essays. It is critical you demonstrate how you have added value to the companies you worked for to date.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me