Accepted at Kellogg....should I transfer from Stern?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650
I'm currently enrolled at Stern in the part time program.

Today, I was accepted to continue my MBA part time at Kellogg. I applied earlier this year after doing well in my initial classes at Stern. Obviously, when I applied, I thought it would be an easy decision to enroll if admitted, but I am starting to struggle a little bit with that decision.

Coupled with that dilemma, I am also working very closely with my employer on an assignment abroad. This could come to fruition as early as October and would place me there for 12-16 months. Both NYU and Kellogg would be supportive of a sudden deferment and an international move if that were the case, however, I am not sure what potential employers (if I decide at some point I want to leave my employer) will think if I started at NYU, transferred to Kellogg, then deferred for a year to go to abroad, and then went back to Kellogg. Maybe I am over-thinking this...

On the surface, I think the major difference between the Kellogg program and the NYU program is the fact that at Kellogg I have access to their formal recruiting process. It also goes without saying that the Kellogg "brand" holds greater equity than NYU.

Would appreciate anyones feedback on this site.

Thanks.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by wayofjungle » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:30 pm
Obviously, this is a very difficult decision to make. I don't have anymore experience than you, but after visiting the top business schools and NYU, I was shocked at how poor NYU compared in my eyes. Admittedly, I do have a very narrow perspective on school selection. NYU is obviously a great school. However, if it were my decision, and a blind one at that, I would transfer to Kellogg.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by Chamadian » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:22 am
Hey wayofjungle, I appreciate the response. I have spent some time thinking about this decision and have decided to make the move to Kellogg. It opens up more options for me in the short and long term. Thanks.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by westsidah408 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Chamadian wrote:Hey wayofjungle, I appreciate the response. I have spent some time thinking about this decision and have decided to make the move to Kellogg. It opens up more options for me in the short and long term. Thanks.
Both are great schools, and I'm sure either decision would have worked in your favor. Good luck Chamadian!!