A Very Humbling Experience

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

A Very Humbling Experience

by gennatay » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:58 pm
I posted this in my blog, but thought I'd share it here in case it could help anyone else.

After I graduate November, I want to attend graduate school starting in January. . I signed up to take the GMAT and didn't study. Why? I've always been the type of person who really never had to study for anything. I coasted through high school and most of college and without having a hard core study session. I even scored a 26 on the ACT and a 1500 on the SAT. I'm not saying that I'm super smart, I just do enough to get by. I often settled for an average score at best.

About a week before the GMAT, I decided that I needed to look at the Offical Study Guide I bought in order to get a feel for the test. I looked at the book and took the practice test that I downloaded when I paid for the test.I scored a 480. OK I thought, I only need a 560 to get into my school of choice so if I brush up on my basic reading and math skills I should be OK. I took the test going in with full confidence that I would just "coast by" and failed miserably. How could this happen? I told my dad and my husband about it and they both asked the same question, "How long did you study"? I told them my answer and even though they sympathized with me , they both scolded me for my lack of study skills.
Yesterday, after much thought I figure I'm going to give this a real effort. I am going to study. I even have a study schedule in place:

Review - 1 week
Quantitative (math) - 3 weeks
Sentence Correction - 2 weeks
Critical Reasoning - 1 week
Reading Comprehension - 1 week
Review - 1 week
That gives me 9 full weeks to study
My goal is to score as close to a 700 as possible. (Which may not happen, but a goal is set)

This very humbling experience has taught me two lessons:
1-I cannot just get by anymore, if I really wanted somehthing, I have to do something about it.
2-Why am I settling for average when I'm so much more.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:58 members

by ngufo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:36 pm
Good to know that you will give it your best this time.

I am a firm believer that anything you do in life, whatever it may be, you have to give it your best, you have to go the distance. Thats what makes you different, thats what makes you special, thats what makes life worth living ...

Do see this video and story: It inspires me no end.
if you can answer the simple question "Did I do everything I could possible to achieve my goal" - with a big YES, then the end result doesnt count.

Derek Redmond: Its all about giving it your "all" - its all about completing the race.....
Story: https://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn25/s ... moments/94
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-MRoIDX ... re=related
People Never Fail ... They just Give Up

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:22 am
good luck !