A rectangular with dimensions 24 inches by 42 inches . . .

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
A rectangular with dimensions 24 inches by 42 inches is to be divided into squares of equal size. Which of the following could be a length of a side of the squares?

a) 4 inches
b) 6 inches
c) 7 inches
d) 8 inches
e) 10 inches

The OA is B.

How can I find the correct answer? Can any expert give me some help? Please.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:39 am
Hello Vincen.

Let's take a look at your question.

We need to divide the rectangle in many squares of equal size. The dimensions are 24 by 42 inches.

We just need to calculate the greatest common factor of 24 and 42. So $$24=2^3\cdot3\ and\ 42=2\cdot3\cdot7.$$ Then $$GCF\left(24,42\right)=2\cdot3=6.$$ SO, we can divide the rectangle in squares of side 2 inches, 3 inches or 6 inches.

As 2 inches and 3 inches are not in the options, the correct option is B .

I hope this explanation may help you. Regards.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:34 am
Hi Vincen,

We're told that a rectangular with dimensions 24 inches by 42 inches is to be divided into SQUARES of EQUAL size. We're asked to find the answer that COULD be a length of a side of the squares. We can solve this question by TESTing THE ANSWERS.

To start, the word 'could' means that there's more than one possible answer - but only one of the five answer choices will 'fit' what we're told. We're thinking about SQUARES and we're meant to use the ENTIRE rectangle - so there can't be any 'leftover' space. Thus, whatever the dimension of the square ends up being, a multiple of that dimension MUST cover the entire 24 inches and 42 inches of the rectangle.

Only 3 of the answer choices divide evenly into 24 (4, 6 and 8). Eliminate Answers C and E.
Of those 3 remaining answers, only one divides evenly into 42 (6). Eliminate Answers A and D.
Thus, the squares must be 6x6 --> and that would yield 28 squares in the given rectangle (these last couple of steps are technically unnecessary, but prove the correct answer).

Final Answer: B

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members
Vincen wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:37 am
A rectangular with dimensions 24 inches by 42 inches is to be divided into squares of equal size. Which of the following could be a length of a side of the squares?

a) 4 inches
b) 6 inches
c) 7 inches
d) 8 inches
e) 10 inches

The OA is B.

How can I find the correct answer? Can any expert give me some help? Please.
The side length of squares must be a common factor of 24 and 42. Since only 6 (of all the given choices) is a common factor of 24 and 42, choice B is the correct answer.

Answer: B

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
The term square means all of it's sides should be equal in length. Let's call that length L
Now we are told that N number of such squares will fit in the rectangle measuring 24x42.
This means that 24 is a multiple of L, and 42 is also a multiple of L. In other words L is a common factor of 24 as well as 42. What we need to do is to find L.

One way would be to list out all the prime factors of 24 and 42...
24 = 2x2x2x3
42 = 2x3x7
We see that 2 and 3 are common factors in both. So, L can be 2,3 or 6(i.e. 2x3). Remember, 1 is always implicit.

An alternative would be to find the GCF of 24 and 42, and find all its factors.
GCF(24,42) = 6
Factors of 6 = 1,2,3,6

Now look at the answer choices, and pick the right one.