a really good defender question. How better can it get.

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
The Ergonomic Society conducted a study that indicated that many people develop severe back problems during adulthood, and that virtually all such people who received chiropractic treatment showed great improvement. Therefore, in order to minimize the proportion of the population that suffers from back pain, the Ergonomic Society recommended that chiropractic treatment be directed toward those adults who suffer from severe back problems.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A] Any person who receives chiropractic treatment for back pain may also benefit from other forms of treatment.

B] Large insurance carriers cover chiropractic care for back problems to a lesser degree than they do other medical treatments.

C] Individuals who receive chiropractic or other treatment prior to developing severe back problems are not less likely to develop back pain than those who do not.

D] Chiropractic treatment is more effective in treating severe back problems when utilized over a long period of time, as opposed to sporadically.

E] Severe back pain and other problems often cause individuals to miss workdays.

The OA given is C.

Please see the above options carefully especially the option C.

It defends the conclusion, taking all the other possibilities out of scope.

This is really a good example of a Defender Assumption model. Check it out.
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:23 am
Another good question. Please tag your questions so that interested fellows like me can refer to these questions later by using the tags.

Thanks.
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mvivek.a » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:37 pm
Hi,

Can you explain how 'C'is the answer? I'm struggling with Assumption question. I thought option 'A' was the answer as it blocks possibility of benefit from other treatments while undergoing chiropractic treatment.

Thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by kinji@BTG » Tue May 28, 2013 7:58 am
What is the defender Assumption model? Can somebody please explain in further detail.

The option C) just says even if you use chiropractic treatment, there is no less chances of developing back pain.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by kinji@BTG » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:45 am
kinji@BTG wrote:What is the defender Assumption model? Can somebody please explain in further detail.

The option C) just says even if you use chiropractic treatment, there is no less chances of developing back pain.
Got the explanation from Manhatten Test. Got the exact same question in MGMT CAT 1.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by [email protected] » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:19 am
I don't understand why the OA is C. As the argument never talked about those people who never suffered back pain. Argument is talking about those people who suffers from back pain. So, author's assumption can not be based on those people who is not suffering from back pain. I chose A. can anybody explain why it is C?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tarunjohri » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 pm
[email protected] wrote:The Ergonomic Society conducted a study that indicated that many people develop severe back problems during adulthood, and that virtually all such people who received chiropractic treatment showed great improvement. Therefore, in order to minimize the proportion of the population that suffers from back pain, the Ergonomic Society recommended that chiropractic treatment be directed toward those adults who suffer from severe back problems.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A] Any person who receives chiropractic treatment for back pain may also benefit from other forms of treatment.

This is actually weakening. In case we were asked to question the legitimacy of the suggestion of using chiropractic treatment this would have been a valid point.

B] Large insurance carriers cover chiropractic care for back problems to a lesser degree than they do other medical treatments.

Irrelevant.

C] Individuals who receive chiropractic or other treatment prior to developing severe back problems are not less likely to develop back pain than those who do not.

By elimination this is the only point you are left with.

D] Chiropractic treatment is more effective in treating severe back problems when utilized over a long period of time, as opposed to sporadically.

Irrelevant because the duration of the treatment is not considered here.

E] Severe back pain and other problems often cause individuals to miss workdays.

Irrelevant to the passage here. No mention of missing work days. The method is suggested to prevent severe back pain, not missing work days.

Answer is C. IMO.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by veenu08 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:13 am
can someone please explain option C. I'm getting the answer by POE

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:26 pm
conclusion of this passage says : the Ergonomic Society recommended that chiropractic treatment be directed toward those adults who suffer from severe back problems. so only those who suffer from severe back problems can get this treatment. so one assume that one cannot take this treatment prior to any back pain. only those who suffer can take this treatment. C is right
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)