A Devastating 500 in contrast to the practise tests 680

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Finished my GMAT today. Scored a miserable 500 (Q48 V12). The lowest score in my practice tests was 580. Below are my scores in practice tests

Kaplan diagnostic : 580
GMAT prep1 : 680 (Q47 V37)
GMAT prep2 : 640 (Q46 V30 dint answer 1 quant question and 4 verbal questions)
Manhattan free test: 600 (Q40 V33)
GMAT prep1: 700 (Q49 V36) (retake after 2 weeks only 2 or 3 questions were repeated. Didn't remember the answers though.)

Really don't know what happened in the actual test. It's not like I am that bad in English. I've got a decent vocabulary.

Planning to retake the test in 3 months. Could someone please help me out here. I am totally devastated.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dazzle » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 am
Hey aarthic,

I am in the same situation as you. I have scored 690s in all my Manhattan tests , 650s in my Kaplan tests and 710 in my GMATPreps (none were retakes) but ended up getting a shocking low score !! My Verbal score was V24 !!

I intend to take my GMAT exam in the next month just because the GMAT policy does not allow you to retake the exam within 31 days !!!
I would suggest if you are confident with your preparation, give it soon just because you are in the "GMAT preparation zone" and stretching it further just results in drudgery , (not to forget more sulking over your previous score) !!

But if you feel you need 3 months, I guess its all a matter of re-doing everything you've done ! OGs, Manhattan, PowerScore etc.. I am planning to join the e-gmat SC course, although my SC is pretty strong !! Nonetheless the 24 score has made me doubt my abilities and I dont want to take any chances !!

I am looking for some good material for CR,RC myself.. Meanwhile, I will be getting a hold of some LSAT papers as well..would suggest you do the same..

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gdk800 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:24 am
Hey Guyz,

Even i too am devastated with my low score. Score in mid 600 in GMATPREP but couldn't manage to cross even 600 on test day. I think it wasn't my day. Planning to take my test in Jan 2011.

Could someone suggest a suitable e-learning tutor for verbal section? I need to rework my strategy and fix in my verbal weaknesses.

Good luck people

GMAT Score:750

by Random Wok » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:56 am
The key to doing well in verbal is process. Make sure your process is exactly the same for every CR and RC question that you do. For example, for every CR problem, do you read and recognize the type of question first? Do you write the conclusion down when you see it? Do you take notes for each blurb of information you receive?

It's important to follow these processes every single time you complete a problem, even on the easy ones. It's by memorizing processes, not content, that you allow yourself to succeed on the harder verbal questions.

I pretty much use the same verbal processes as prescribed by MGMAT. Therefore for content, I'd recommend you purchase and study the three MGMAT verbal guides, one for each verbal topic.

Best of luck.

by gsbjake » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:24 pm
Hey man, it happens to everyone. I would say it's probably the rush of taking the exam. All you have to do is take a little time, plan ahead, and kill it the second time. I've done and so have a lot of other people. PM me if you have any questions and good luck!

JL