A certain ship

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:16 members

A certain ship

by alex.gellatly » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:47 pm
Each signal that a certain ship can make is comprised of 3 different flags hanging vertically in a particular order. How many unique signals can be made by using 4 different flags?

[spoiler]I made the classic mistake of using C and not P.... now I understand. But does anyone have some advice on how to avoid this, or similar problems?[/spoiler]
Thanks

Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:740

by Birottam Dutta » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:09 am
Hey, it is written explicitly in the question stem that the flags need to be in a particular order. So, whenever order is important, you need to use permutation and not combination.

Many times it will be written that order matters. In some question types it need not be mentioned but you have to understand. For instance, when dealing with numbers, order is necessary because 435 is different from 354 although the same elements have been chosen. On the other hand, when choosing members of a team from X total people, order will not matter because A, B and C being part of a team in whichever order doesn't make a difference.

Hope this answers your question!

Followed by:3 members

by Lifetron » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:03 am
If the question mentions any distinction between the orders of arrangement, it is permutation.

Ex-Friends sitting in 3 chairs in front of you

If it is jus selection, it is combination

Ex-Friends into groups

Understanding the question is the only option !

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:14 am
alex.gellatly wrote:Each signal that a certain ship can make is comprised of 3 different flags hanging vertically in a particular order. How many unique signals can be made by using 4 different flags?
[spoiler]I made the classic mistake of using C and not P.... now I understand. But does anyone have some advice on how to avoid this, or similar problems?[/spoiler]
Thanks
The "Does order matter?" question can sometimes be problematic.
I prefer to begin most counting questions by asking, "Can I take the entire task (create a signal) and break it into stages? (this is often called the slot method)

In this case, we can break the task into 3 stages:
Stage 1: Select the top flag
Stage 2: Select the middle flag
Stage 3: Select the bottom flag

At this point, we'll ask question that is analogous to the "Does order matter?" question. My question is, "Does the outcome of each stage differ from the outcomes of the other stages?"

For example, is selecting a blue flag for stage 1 different from selecting a blue flag for stage 2?
Well, according to the wording, these are, indeed, different outcomes. As such, we can continue with the slot method. If the stages are not different, then we'll have to come up with a new approach (which may or may not include combinations).

Now, let's continue.
Stage 1: There are 4 flags to choose from, so this stage can be accomplished in 4 ways.
Stage 2: Once we have completed stage 1, there are 3 flags remaining. So, this stage can be accomplished in 3 ways.
Stage 3: Once we have completed stages 1 and 2, there are 2 flags remaining. So, this stage can be accomplished in 2 ways.

So, by the Fundamental Counting Principle (FCP), the total number of ways to accomplish all 3 stages (and create a signal) is equal to 4 x 3 x 2 = 24

If you'd like more information on the FCP, you watch the following free video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-counting?id=775

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com