A certain city owns 298 buses, whose routes are . . . . . .

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
A certain city owns 298 buses, whose routes are divided into three zones. At a given time, if q buses are in the blue zone, r buses are in the red zone, s buses are in the green zone, and t buses are in garages, how many buses are in the green zone?

(1) The ratio of q to r to s is 4:6:7 and 26 buses are in garages.

(2) q = 64

The OA is the option E.

With both statements is not sufficient to get an answer here? Experts, can you help me, please? I am confused.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by DrMaths » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:50 am
If we change the letters to match the words (B = Blue, R = Red, G = Green, H = Housed (in garages)), its easier to see.
Now, here are the facts presented to us:
(3) B+R+G+H =298

Reworded:
(1) B:R:G=4:6:7, plus H =26
(2) B = 64

Using (3) (with (1)) only, we get B + R + G = 298-26 = 272 and G = 7/17 x 272 = 112, so (3) is sufficient.

Using (2) (with (3)) only, then all we know is that 64 + R + G + H = 298, which has too many variables, so is NOT sufficient.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

TTT

by uce08 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 am
Vincen wrote:A certain city owns 298 buses, whose routes are divided into three zones. At a given time, if q buses are in the blue zone, r buses are in the red zone, s buses are in the green zone, and t buses are in garages, how many buses are in the green zone?

(1) The ratio of q to r to s is 4:6:7 and 26 buses are in garages.

(2) q = 64

The OA is the option E.

With both statements is not sufficient to get an answer here? Experts, can you help me, please? I am confused.

B+r+g=298-26=272

as the ratio of b:r:g=4:6:7

then no of green buses is 7/17*272=112

please mention where i went wrong

as per me ans is A

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members
GMAT Score:770

by ErikaPrepScholar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:58 am
Hey folks,

This isn't a great question because it isn't clear whether or not the garages are inside the different zones. So maybe all of the garages don't have a zone. Maybe all of the garages are in the green zone. Maybe half of the garages are in the red zone and half are in the green zone.

If we assume that the garages are not in any zone, we can solve using Statement 1, making answer choice A. However, the OA relies on us assuming that the garages could be in one of the three zones.

A problem this ambiguous wouldn't show up on the GMAT, so it isn't very useful practice material.

Erika John - Content Manager/Lead Instructor
https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/

Get tutoring from me or another PrepScholar GMAT expert: https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/tutoring/

Learn about our exclusive savings for BTG members (up to 25% off) and our 5 day free trial

Check out our PrepScholar GMAT YouTube channel, and read our expert guides on the PrepScholar GMAT blog