A bit of advice - 690 GMAT

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:690

A bit of advice - 690 GMAT

by togrey12 » Fri May 01, 2009 12:17 pm
First of all, thanks for taking the time to give me an evaluation.

I recently took my GMAT, scoring a 690 (43Q/41V) - a bit skewed - (92%V/68%Q). My undergraduate GPA is very strong at 3.9 (majored in Finance), and I have spent the past 3 years at a top consulting firm.

I'm currently targeting UNC, UVA, Duke, IU, and NW but I have some concern about the low quant score.

My study plan was intensive for 3 months, so I'm quite burned out and would find it hard to quickly improve in my math. With a strong application and good LORs (I know alumni at all schools targeted), can my GMAT score hold up?

Thanks again.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Sun May 03, 2009 9:25 am
Hello,

The low quant GMAT score could raise concern, but you have one clearly mitigating factor: strong grades in quant courses, which provide a track record of success in quantitative methods. If you apply quantitative methodologies at work, that’s a second mitigating factor. The adcom will consider these factors in weighing your preparedness. However, you should make the point explicitly in a short, straightforward optional essay addressing the issue. In addition, having recommenders cite your quantitative ability and input (with specific examples) would be helpful, if it’s possible. With all of these steps, you can go a long way to mitigating the low quant GMAT.

Best regards,
Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by togrey12 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:51 am
Thanks very much Cindy.

That is great advice.