This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vaivish » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:13 am
827. The science of economics, which for four decades was dominated by Keynesians, who at first stressed the government’s role in stimulating the economy, but who were ultimately led away from solutions based on government intervention.
(A) economics, which for four decades was
(B) economics that was to be
(C) economics, one which has, for four decades, been
(D) economics is one that for four decades has been
(E) economics, for four decades, is one that was

OA is d.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:580

by codesnooker » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:39 am
I am confused between option (B) and (D). I have no reason to eliminate the choice (B).

For rest of the choices.

This sentence has a structure something like this X, Y, Z where X, Y and Z are phrases and Y act a as filler in the sentence that provides the extra information. So, in such cases, if we remove the filler phrase then also sentence should make the complete sense.

A) If we look at choice (A) and remove the filler phrase then sentence seems to be awkward and incomplete.
Modified A: The science of economics who

(C) and (E) are make the sentence more complex and awkward. Hence they can be rule out.

Only choice (B) and (D) makes the first sentence as the modifier. But I am not able to find the reason to rule out the choice (B), which actually seems more prominent to me.

Let me know in either case, whether it makes some sense.

by wonder » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:50 am
IMO D

'is' is necessary here to complete the sentence. If we read the sentence with ans choice B, it is not a complete sentence.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by dileepsinha » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44 pm
IMO D

The science of economics, which for four decades was dominated by Keynesians, (who at first stressed the government’s role in stimulating the economy, but who were ultimately led away from solutions based on government intervention)

The part under bracket is modifying Keynesians, the sentence needs another clause. Hence B incorrect

The science of economics, which for four decades was dominated by Keynesians,...............

you need to complete the sentence.

GMAT Score:620

by Rashmi1804 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:18 am
The Q.statement has a longgggg modifier modifying the Object-noun "Keynesians" and a main noun " The science of economics", So we need a MAIN VERB here.....

So down to D and E.

In E, the modifier "for four decades" is misplaced.Meaning -the science for four decades is one and later two. :P
so, this modifier should be placed after the object (apposition) of the main noun "The science of eco".i.e, one

Hence D.