8 days to go- got a pathetic score on GMAT Prep test 2 today

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:07 pm
Don't read into your GMATPrep scores too much--flukes in performance happen all the time. You have got to trust the studying and progress you've made in the past few months of your preparation. You're close to the finish line--go into your test confident!

Good luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by stoic74 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:14 pm
Focus on improving the areas where you made mistakes, while not losing touch with your stregnths. You still have 8 days to go and you can make all the difference. Also, in my case, I scored more in the actual GMAt exam(690) than I ever did on GMATPrep 1 & 2 (640 each time, the last one about 10 days before the exam).

So, don't lose heart. Good luck!
-Stoic

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:33 pm
Based on what you described, here's a guess:

You know you're taking the test soon, so you took this last practice test much more seriously than you took previous practice tests. Your nerves led you to hang on to quant questions much longer than you should - you weren't able to pull the plug, make an educated guess, and move on in the way you know you should. That caused you to run out of time, giving you a string of at least 6 questions in a row wrong at the end, and likely a few more b/c you were probably aware you were running out of time and were rushing, which increases your careless mistakes.

The WORST thing you can do is run out of time because the single biggest thing that can kill your score is a string of questions wrong in a row. Getting any one question wrong is no big deal, even if it's an easy question. Multiple questions in a row is what kills us.

Then, you were shaken up by what happened in the math section and you weren't able to concentrate as well on verbal.

Be happy that this happened in a practice test and not the real thing. Go figure out what you need to do to make sure that this DOES NOT happen on the real test. If you really did find yourself hanging on to math questions too long, you've GOT to get better at pacing and at educated guessing (the more comfortable you feel with educated guessing, the easier you will find it to pull the plug when you should).
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me