780+ CR's

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nikita27 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:40 pm
Guys,

IMO A.We know that in Atmosphere, Proportion of N > CO > Methane. This implies that N can be more readily vaporized compared to CO and Methane, and CO can be more readily vaporized compared to Methane. But the Author does not talk about how Quantity of these Ices could have played a role in the proportion of Gas in the atmosphere. This is possible only when it is assumed that the quantity of the corresponding Ice is equal on the surface of the Pluto.

D: This is also very likely, It's just that A is more strong than D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by arorag » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:19 pm
Agree with A

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:38 pm
OA is C

Now you must be wondering how :D

Well the key to this answer is to separate premise and conclusion and you would see the answer coming.

Premise/Fact :The existence of frozen nitrogen, methane, and carbon monoxide on Pluto’s surface
Rule :The proportion of any gas in such an atmosphere as Pluto’s depends directly on how readily the corresponding ice vaporizes.

Conclusion: Pluto’s atmosphere is made up of nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane in decreasing order of abundance.
In order for them to conclude that Pluto’s atmosphere is made up of just these gases in just this order, they must be assuming that there aren’t any other frozen substances on Pluto’s surface that would vaporize and join the ranks of gases.

C=> Says this all.

Hope this Helps.

If you guys have any other question, feel free to ask.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by acenikk » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:42 am
Nice explanation.

GMAT Score:650

by vyomb » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:00 am
gmat740 wrote:Assumption Question :D
IMO answer should be C.

Assumption must be focussed upon the conclusion.It supports or strengthens the conclusion.
Here-->Pluto’s atmosphere is made up of nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane in decreasing order of abundance. is the conclusion.

either the author could have hinted the reason for decreasing order or could have eliminated the alternate path.

C fits better here.

by oagostinho » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:23 am
gmat740 wrote:OA is C

Well the key to this answer is to separate premise and conclusion and you would see the answer coming.

Premise/Fact :The existence of frozen nitrogen, methane, and carbon monoxide on Pluto’s surface
Rule :The proportion of any gas in such an atmosphere as Pluto’s depends directly on how readily the corresponding ice vaporizes.

Conclusion: Pluto’s atmosphere is made up of nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane in decreasing order of abundance.
In order for them to conclude that Pluto’s atmosphere is made up of just these gases in just this order, they must be assuming that there aren’t any other frozen substances on Pluto’s surface that would vaporize and join the ranks of gases.

C=> Says this all.

Hope this Helps.

Hi, what i dont understand about C, is that dont said anything about Nitrogen!

Can you help me, please!

Cheers!

MBA Student

by gmat740 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:03 am
oagostinho wrote:
gmat740 wrote:OA is C

C=> Says this all.

Hope this Helps.

Hi, what i dont understand about C, is that dont said anything about Nitrogen!

Can you help me, please!

Cheers!
Hi,

Its true that C does not talk about Nitrogen at all. But who said that a argument can have only one assumption?:D

Are you still confused?

As a matter of fact an argument can have more than one assumption. In this case another assumption would be : There is no frozen substance which vaporises more readily than Nitrogen

But since, that option is not given, we choose the best C

In fact there is a particular type of question called ASSUME X, which goes on like this:
Among the following options,which one is not an assumption.
All the 4 incorrect options would be assumptions :D

Although assume X questions are not tested in GMAT so I don't post them. But may be if I come across another Assume X question, I would definitely post that one.

Hope this helps

MBA Student

by gmat740 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:09 am
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies
by the Greek playwright Euripides. Of these, ten called the “select
plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also
appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of
Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea. The other eight,
which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is
one of the alphabeticals.
Which of the following can be reliably concluded on the basis of the
Statements given?
A. Only Euripides’ best-known works are accompanied by ancient
commentaries in extant medieval manuscripts.
B. The select plays are accompanied by ancient commentaries
because they were the best known of Euripides’ works.
C. No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in
ancient times.
D. Euripides’ Medea never appears in medieval manuscripts
unaccompanied by ancient commentary.
E. Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary
in any extant medieval manuscript.

One of the most controversial questions. Please excuse me for not having the OE, because even I am not convinced with the OA[spoiler](E)[/spoiler]

There have been lots of discussion and this question is all over the internet. I have found some really interesting people who are following this thread, so I am posting this question to seek opinion.

Please note : I have already posted the OA along with the question, If you are answering this one, please answer with Proper reasoning

https://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-critica ... cript.html

https://www.beatthegmat.com/medieval-man ... 41264.html

https://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-critica ... pides.html

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by shilpi84 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:01 pm
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies
by the Greek playwright Euripides. Of these, ten called the “select
plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also
appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of
Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea. The other eight,
which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is
one of the alphabeticals.
Statements given?
ancient times.
IMO E.
A->WRONG
Given in the argument:
"this group includes some of Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea."

B->WRONG
This cannot be concluded from the argument
C->WRONG
Cannot be conclded because probably the commentry was written but did not appear in any manuscript.
D->WRONG
We can only conclude this for L and not the other medivial manuscripts.Also this choice uses 'NEVER' which is extreme.
E->CORRECT

Followed by:55 members
GMAT Score:760

by myohmy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:56 am
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies by the Greek playwright Euripides. Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea. The other eight, which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is one of the alphabeticals.

Okay, so what do we know? We know there's a manuscript called L that has all 18 of Euripides extant tragedies. 10 of these also include ancient commentaries and appear in other medieval manuscripts (one of these 10 is the Medea). The other 8 have no commentary, and the Electra is one of the other 8.

statements given?
[This question is pretty much a "must be true," or as close as you can get to must-be-true]

That's not true. We only know that in the case of L, some of Euripedes best known works have ancient commentaries. There could be other extant medieval manuscripts that offer commentary on some of Euripides' lesser known works. Eliminate.

Wrong, and also nonsensical. The "best known" of Euripides work TODAY may not have been his best known work in medieval time. The statement gives us no way of judging if they were the best known, they simply have commentary written about them -- it could be that the only people who know about them are the ones who wrote the commentaries! There is nothing to support this statement in the question. Eliminate.

ancient times.

Again, there is no information to support this statement in the question. The statement doesn't attempt to explain WHY some of the works have commentary, beyond noting that the group happens to include some of Euripides best known work. Eliminate.

This is far too strong for a possible conclusion, so we could eliminate on those grounds. Additionally, the passage merely claims that Medea happens to be accompanied by ancient commentary in this manuscript, and that Medea does appear in other manuscripts -- it makes no claim as to whether it appears with or without commentary in other manuscripts. Eliminate.

By POE I'm here, but let's try and justify the OA. I don't particularly like this answer but I could see why it would be the OA. We can assume that since Electra is not one of the 10 that appears in the L with commentary, as well as appearing in other manuscripts, that it appears without commentary, and does not appear in other manuscripts.

I don't like this answer much, honestly. I think you could make a reasonable case for eliminating all of the choices. What is the source for this Q?

by joseph32 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:16 pm
I am pretty sure that the right Answer is E