760! (Q49/V44)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

760! (Q49/V44)

by mephi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:20 pm
I've been a lurker here and figure that I should probably post now that it's over.

I started prep several weeks back, pretty intense (as much as possible with work and the occasional bit of fun). I went with the Princeton review course and took a practice test cold just as a baseline -- 610 (Q35, V41), yikes. I was a sociology major and while I have solid math abilities I don't use a lot of the stuff on a regular basis. But some hardcore studying and 2 nights before the big day I hit 720 so I was feeling pretty good.

Then...disaster. The night before my girlfriend breaks up with me...by text message. Ouch. I try to put it out of my mind (seriously--you couldn't have waited 24 hours??). The next morning I'm woken up by her frantically calling me telling me she's made an awful mistake. I tell her it has to wait as I walk out to my car...which I find almost plowed in by an unexpectedly big snowstorm. I manage to power out and get there just in time (over an hour away which I had to do to get the time I wanted)--not the way to start.

A couple of surprisingly easy quants (along with a couple that I took way too long on) had me worried but I felt solid on the verbal. I was really prepared to be satisfied with anything >700 and happy with anything >720 so I came out pretty psyched up. Turns out the prep served me well.

Thanks for the support even if you didn't know I was here before!

(Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that 4 days before the test I came down with a really nasty cold with enough sinus pressure that I could barely think. I drank a carton of orange juice and probably half a gallon of water a day to flush it out of my system in time)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: 760! (Q49/V44)

by x2suresh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:51 pm
CONGRATS!! Great Score

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:33 pm
Sorry to hear that you got cold. How you feeling now ? Hope you got better!
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by clubtwofour » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:34 pm
Dude, everything was thrown at you, but you persevered! Great job! How you holding up? Things settle down?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750

by Z_I » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:23 pm
Three weeks to go for the test for me and my girlfriend's acting nasty. Its killing my concentration.

I shudder to think what would happen if she did this a day before the test.

Kudos to you man for keeping your cool!

Congrats on a great score!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:26 pm
:)
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by MarsellusW » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:57 am
Wow, that must have been one hell of a 24 hours for you. Even Jack Bauer would have been gasping for air under such stress. But you defeated the GMAT and thus make Jack look a rather everyday guy in comparison :).

Congrats!

M.

PS: A little CR to lighten you up :)

According to a recent survey taken on the Internet and various other sources, female partners of GMAT test takers usually end their relationship with the test taker during the preparation period and/or act rather strange during the MBA application preparation period.

If the statements above are true, which if the following must also be true?

A, Female partners of test takers are prone to male deprivation syndrome that can have unimaginable and unpredictable results.
B, There are periods and then there are periods and GMAT test takers should keep this in their mind.
C, Female partners might have been seduced by an unknown alien life form that causes temporarily serious reversible brain damage.
D, The behavior of female partners is not completely predictable during the MBA application period.
E, GMAT test takers and their female partners live in parallel universes during their preparation period and there is a direct link between the collision speed of the universes and the upcoming test date.
Freedom comes when you learn to let go,
Creation comes when you learn to say no.

by Z_I » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:51 am
MarsellusW wrote:Wow, that must have been one hell of a 24 hours for you. Even Jack Bauer would have been gasping for air under such stress. But you defeated the GMAT and thus make Jack look a rather everyday guy in comparison :).

Congrats!

M.

According to a recent survey taken on the Internet and various other sources, female partners of GMAT test takers usually end their relationship with the test taker during the preparation period and/or act rather strange during the MBA application preparation period.

A, Female partners of test takers are prone to male deprivation syndrome that can have unimaginable and unpredictable results.
B, There are periods and then there are periods and GMAT test takers should keep this in their mind.
C, Female partners might have been seduced by an unknown alien life form that causes temporarily serious reversible brain damage.
D, The behavior of female partners is not completely predictable during the MBA application period.
E, GMAT test takers and their female partners live in parallel universes during their preparation period and there is a direct link between the collision speed of the universes and the upcoming test date.

Has to be 'A' man!!! :wink:

by Z_I » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:04 am
MarsellusW wrote:Wow, that must have been one hell of a 24 hours for you. Even Jack Bauer would have been gasping for air under such stress. But you defeated the GMAT and thus make Jack look a rather everyday guy in comparison :).

Congrats!

M.

Has to be 'A' man!!! :wink:

by karmayogi » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:15 am
Congrats mephi.

Thank god, I don't have a girlfriend :)
Each soul is potentially divine. The goal is to manifest this divine within.
--By Swami Vivekananda

GMAT Score:660

by crazy4gmat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:06 am
A for me :lol:

by jeevan.Gk » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:27 am
I think you are the real manager.. Gmat's motive is to test your self management.. You have surpassed far beyond its standard.

Hats off to you..

I think you need to mention bout your break up in your essays :D

Jokes apart buddy.. I really feel sorry for you.. All the best for your applications.. Life keeps going.. I understand your pain