760: An Indian MBA entrance exam (CAT) student's version

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Background:
Indian engineer, have strong base in quant but weak in verbal, particularly sentance correction.

Time duration:
Postulated: 2 Months (Helped me to gather the required study material)
Real: 2-3 Weeks

Started with the 60 days plan given here on the forum. Realised late, it wont work for me. Hence best strategy is to find out weaknesses using one of the GMAT prep test and then concentrate on them. I started with a GMAT prep score of 710 (Q51,V36) hence the above performance was not much but just 5 points addition in verbal. I should have tried for 8 points but no point thinking about it now.
Until the last week before GMAT I was getting only 690,700,710 in the Manhattan GMAT prep tests(1-3). In the last week gave GMAT test 1 re-attempt 760, test 2: 760 which boosted up my confidence. Test day: 760 Q51 V41 WA5 IR8

Quant:
OG last 37 questions attempted for both sections in timed fashion. Dont waste those questions, use the timer available here on the forum.

Verbal:
SC: I was weak in SC so bought the Manhattan SC guide and repeated it twice to get a hang of it. Read the first few chapters of CR bible and practiced the RC in tests only. Practiced the last 60 questions in OG for SC and CR.

WA&IR: minimal practice, gave all tests with WA and IR. Was unsure about the quality of my essays till the last day :(

This was bit of a stroke of luck that I was able to manage this performance. I would advice all future test takers to dilligently atleast complete the OG and concetrate on their individual weaknesses.

This forum provided me lot of guidance in terms of past experience of GMAT takers and the tactics of studies to work with and I am thankful for that. :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:45 am
Hi umangrathi,

You've put together a fantastic performance. It's worth noting that you represent a really small percent of people who are naturally strong Test Takers, but you can't rest on these laurels when it comes to your overall application. With your GMAT score, you can clearly apply to any school/program that you'd like (and possibly earn scholarship money); be sure to put the proper time and effort into the other areas of your application and I'll be that you'll have plenty of options to choose from. Congrats again!

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:14 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi umangrathi,

You've put together a fantastic performance. It's worth noting that you represent a really small percent of people who are naturally strong Test Takers, but you can't rest on these laurels when it comes to your overall application. With your GMAT score, you can clearly apply to any school/program that you'd like (and possibly earn scholarship money); be sure to put the proper time and effort into the other areas of your application and I'll be that you'll have plenty of options to choose from. Congrats again!

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Don't be lured by the hypnosis of Genius. Very often we think geniuses are cut from a differnt cloth. However what we miss the backstory. Indian CAT is a brutal exam, with less than 1% getting admitted to the top instutions. Take it as LSAT version of India.