750 (Q47, V47) with 26 days of prep

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

750 (Q47, V47) with 26 days of prep

by craiger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:11 pm
I decided rather late in the process to apply for Executive MBA programs this spring. As a result, I faced an accelerated timeline for preparing for the GMAT (less than one month).

I registered for the GMAT on 2/18. I had never taken the GMAT. I had never studied for it. I was not even familiar with the format.

I took the GMAT on 3/12. I scored a 750 (Q47, V47).

Here is how I approached the challenge of preparing for the GMAT under a short timeline. I hope it is helpful to those who may be in a similar situation.

After I registered for the GMAT, I almost immediately ordered Princeton Review's online course ("GMAT Online," $499). While the course helped familiarize me with the format and outlined general concepts germane to the test, I do not feel that GMAT Online was challenging enough. Furthermore, the presentation of lessons was awkward and the navigation was confusing and frustrating.

A commenter on an online forum (I do not recall which) remarked that they thought Princeton Review was too easy, and geared towards people scoring below 650. The commenter also said that they thought Kaplan was a better solution for people seeking scores above 700. This turned out to be good advice, because I purchased the Kaplan online course ("GMAT On Demand," $475) and found it to be very helpful.

The Kaplan course began with a diagnostic test. My score was 660 (Q: 61st percentile, V: 96th percentile). I could tell I had a long way to go on the quantitative section. Although I had done well on the quantitative section of the GRE (790/800) back in 2003, I found the GMAT quantitative section challenging-and particularly the Data Sufficiency questions. I felt that my brain wasn't properly wired to answer these questions and I stumbled through a lot of the early exercises and quizzes.

I viewed almost all of the lessons in Kaplan's online course and took virtually all of the quizzes. One tool that I found particularly useful was the "Recommended Next Steps" section, in which Kaplan proposes additional steps and activities based on the strengths and weaknesses demonstrated on practice tests. I was able to view additional lessons (including "Intermediate" and "Challenge" workshops) and design customized quizzes in the QuizBank based on section, subject, and level of difficulty. I wound up answering hundreds of quantitative questions in a quiz format on the medium and hard level of the QuizBank. I typically answered 15-20 questions (timed) at one time. For a few days in a row I focused entirely on my areas of weakness: number properties and data sufficiency.

I think another very important factor was taking a lot of full-format practice tests. I completed the AWA section on 3-4 of the practice tests in order to work on my stamina and get used to the long duration. On the others I completely skipped the AWA section. Here are my results (including the Princeton Review tests, my GMATPrep test the day before the test, and my actual GMAT test):

PR GMAT CAT 1 (02/25/12) - 730 (Q48, V43) (I had already taken this one as the "free" online test)
PR GMAT CAT 2 (02/26/12) - 710 (Q48, V41)
Kaplan GMAT Diagnostic Test (02/26/12) - 660 (Q61%, V96%)
Kaplan GMAT CAT 2 (02/28/12) - 730 (Q63%, V99%)
Kaplan GMAT CAT 3 (02/28/12) - 660 (Q70%, V78%)
Kaplan GMAT CAT 4 (03/01/12) - 700 (Q53%, V99%)
Kaplan GMAT CAT 5 (03/09/12) - 720 (Q75%, V99%)
Kaplan GMAT CAT 6 (03/10/12) - 690 (Q55%, V99%)
GMATPrep (03/11/12) - 760 (I forgot the scaled scores but I got 9 wrong on Q and 2 wrong on V)
GMAT (03/12/12) - 750 (Q47, V47)

I never got my quantitative scores up to where I'd like them to be but the Kaplan lessons and practice tests definitely helped me get consistently high (99th percentile) scores on the verbal section that carried over onto the GMAT itself.

While I encountered several challenging questions on the quantitative section of the GMAT, I recalled the Kaplan tests being more difficult. In the Kaplan practice tests, I recall seeing 5 or more extremely difficult quantitative questions on which I ultimately just guessed. On the actual GMAT, I think that number was more like 3. I obviously recorded many more wrong quantitative answers than 3, but I felt like I could have solved many of them if I weren't so concerned with time management.

I used the Kaplan On Demand course for most of my preparation in the weeks leading up to the GMAT. In the days leading up to the test itself I used the QuizBank extensively for focused practice. I also did the first 100 or so problems in the Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review in the two weeks prior to the test.

This post is already a lot longer than I anticipated so I will try to summarize my experience:

1. The Kaplan GMAT On Demand online course is great. It is accessible and well-structured and I feel that it helped vault me into the 99th percentile on the verbal section and that the program helped me limit my errors on intermediate-level quantitative problems and have a much better shot at answering higher-level quantitative problems correctly.

2. The "My Performance" section of the online Kaplan course is excellent for identifying weaknesses and hopefully finding some "low-hanging fruit" that can be remediated with additional practice and quizzes.

3. I think that taking as many full-format CATs as possible was a huge benefit. I don't know whether it mattered that I skipped the AWA section on most of them.

4. I also think that the Kaplan tests are more difficult than the actual GMAT. (It makes sense-they probably want to manage your expectations, after all.) While my average score on most of my Kaplan practice CATs was around 700, I scored a 760 on the GMATPrep the day before the GMAT and I scored a 750 on test day.

I hope this information is helpful to anybody who may be trying to prepare for the GMAT under an accelerated timeline. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ldiffen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:24 pm
congrats on the great score!!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by killer1387 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:03 pm
congrats !!!

Followed by:1 members

by [email protected] » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm
Hi,
I am using Kaplan verbal course.
My Diagnostic Kaplan CAT was- 540 (q51,v27)
2nd kaplan practice CAT was- 570 (q59,v23)- On verbal section I got first 10 questions on a row. probably,that was the reason why my verbal score went down this time.

Please suggest-
#1. How to improve verbal ( specially RC & CR).
#2. Do these quant scores (q51 & q59) really reflects my potential or they are just like an imaginary cloud which will take me to end with a low score on Real GMAT exam.

Regards,
-TK

by jaijune » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:08 pm
Congratulations dude

by amitairawati » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:55 pm
Congratulation craiger!

by MonicaK » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:31 pm
Hey, Congrats!
How many hours per day, average, did you study in these 26 days?

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 pm
Congrats mate !!! So many mocks in such a short time. Am not able to sit for one full length test and you have taken two in a single day ...
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

by craiger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:20 pm
I sent you a direct message with my feedback. Good luck!
[email protected] wrote:Hi,
I am using Kaplan verbal course.
My Diagnostic Kaplan CAT was- 540 (q51,v27)
2nd kaplan practice CAT was- 570 (q59,v23)- On verbal section I got first 10 questions on a row. probably,that was the reason why my verbal score went down this time.

Please suggest-
#1. How to improve verbal ( specially RC & CR).
#2. Do these quant scores (q51 & q59) really reflects my potential or they are just like an imaginary cloud which will take me to end with a low score on Real GMAT exam.

Regards,
-TK

by craiger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:25 pm
Thanks, Monica!

Of those 26 days, I probably took at least 5-6 days completely off for work and travel.

Of the remaining 20 days or so, I would spend 3-4 hours per week day (usually after work) watching lessons, studying and taking quizzes. On each weekend day I spent around 12 hours studying. I tried to take at least 1 full practice test (sometimes 2) each weekend day.

I also took 3 days off from work to study and practice, and each of those days I spent around 12 hours studying. I think I took at least 3 practice tests total on those days off.

Hope this helps!
MonicaK wrote:Hey, Congrats!
How many hours per day, average, did you study in these 26 days?