740 - Glad and relieved

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

740 - Glad and relieved

by neonite » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:27 am
Hi Guys,

I owe a post to this forum as it has been a constant source of support and motivation through my preparation.

Just finished with my GMAT a few days back and got a 740 (49|41). Though was hoping for atleast a 50 on Math, I am quite glad with an overall 740. I'll try and keep this as precise as possible:

Materials Used:
OG 12 - complete
MGMAT SC Guide - complete
Verbal Guide - Partial
OG 10 - partial
Kapan Verbal - Theory only

Tests:
MGMAT tests (4)
Princeton CD tests (old version) (2)
All the free online tests from the various websites (Kaplan, Princeton, Knewton...) (3-4)
GMAT Prep (2)
Sectional Tests (A bunch of PDFs I got from a friend..I believe they are ScoreTop)

I started about 2 months before the final exam, but took quite a few intermediate weekends off. So I would say about 50 days of preparation was what I put in.

Started of with the MGMAT SC and Kaplan Verbal theory. This took about a week and I then dived into the practice questions. Did my OG 12 completely before hitting the PDF sectional tests. I started off rather poorly, able to complete only 30 out of 41 questions in 75 minutes in Verbal. Math I usually finished comfortably in time.

Petrified, I really worked hard on the pacing in Verbal and after about 2 weeks was just about able to finish the 41 questions in Verbal.

I then started with the CATs. The free ones available online were helpful. I never went beyond 680 in any of them, and was starting to get a little concernce with only 3 weeks to go.

Following are my test results:
(3 weeks before the exam)
Princeton 1 -680
Princeton2 - 680

(2 weeks before the exam)
GMAT Prep1 - 760 (Helped my confidence) (50|42)
MGMAT1 - 740
MGMAT2 - 740
MGMAT3 - 680 (this was a week before and scared the shit out of me)
MGMAT4 - 740

GMAT Prep2 - 760 (50|42)
GMAT Prep1 (Retake) - 770

Actual GMAT 740 (49|41)

The only real tip I could give people still reading this is "Being Calm". I have read this on a lot of posts on this forum but this can't be emphasized enough. After I finished my Math section (which I had thought I had done well, but didn't really turn out that well), I came out happy in the break. Went into Verbal all pepped up telling my self that I wouldn't freak out. I started off well, but hit the panic button around the 20th question. I hit a really difficult and long passage, and my mind went blank. I couldn't gather head or toe of the passage, and just wanted to quit. Suddenly time seemed very little, questions too many and too complex. I almost raised my hand wanting to tell the admin that I wanted to quit.

But thanks to all my friends who advised me to never give up, I went through all the questions. I never expected a 740 and was pleasantly surprised. So guys, no matter how bad you think you are doing, never lose your calm, cause it ain't that bad. I somehow fell that if I hadn't panicked I would have probably scored a few more points.

Anyhow, let me know if you have any questions and I'll try me best to answer them.

A Personal thanks to BTG forum and the Instructors who helped me build some good concepts.

Cheers,
Neo

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by youven » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:40 am
neonite wrote:
Sectional Tests (A bunch of PDFs I got from a friend..I believe they are ScoreTop)
Congrats mate! Quick question for you - were those pdfs helpful to you? I heard that the Math section is way easier than the real quant section but that the verbal section is actually close to the real thing. can you please share your opinion?

Many thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by amising6 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:41 am
congrats dude
Ideation without execution is delusion

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by neonite » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:50 am
youven wrote:
neonite wrote:
Congrats mate! Quick question for you - were those pdfs helpful to you? I heard that the Math section is way easier than the real quant section but that the verbal section is actually close to the real thing. can you please share your opinion?

Many thanks
Agreed. Math was definitely simpler in the PDFs. MGMAT maths helped me pull up my Math standard.
I also went through some theory I got from a Math book used for CAT (IIMs). Plus BTG questions were a gr8 resource.

English is comparable, but do try and go though some complex and long passaged. Its imperative that you don't get overwhelmed by long and complex passages.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by martin.jonson007 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:23 pm
First of all .. CONGRATS...!

On ques..

how many hours You put on daily basis.. ?