730 First Attempt! How accurate is the Unofficial?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730
I just took the GMAT for the first time this past Saturday (12/05). Unofficial, I scored a 730 (50 Q, 37 V). I'm also fairly confident that I scored highly on the essays.

1. I feel 20 pounds lighter without that "GMAT Monkey" on my back.
2. Thanks to beatthegmat.com for providing all the resources and connecting all our minds in preparation for the common task.
3. How accurate is the unofficial score? I verified percentiles with mba.com. But, I won't get the offical for 20 days.

My preparation:
1. My diagnostic score was approximately 680 (with some idea as to the question types that would be asked).
2. I studied for approximately two months for the exam (about 16 hours a week).
3. I really only wanted to take the exam once. I wanted to score high enough the first time for entry into my school of choice).
3. I took approximately 9 different CATs during my preparation. These were, by far, the best way to prepare for the the "taking" of the test.
4. I found that the best way to "push" my results into the 700s was to utilize the resources on this site for individual challenge problems and for strategy methodology. Nothing improves your score and reduces your per problem time like having a plan/approach for each and every type of problem.

A few notes on preparation in general:
  • I read that you want to study to YOUR habits. I've never been a 3+ hour studier. So, I tried to break up my studying into smaller 1-2 hour chunks. I found that this worked very well for me.
    While the CATs help prepare you for the test in general, I found the results VERY misleading. I would alternate receiving 99s in both Quant and Verbal (with the other score dropping to low 80s). Although the results were consistent (700-740), I didn't expect to see those types of swing.
Ranking the usefulness of materials:
  • Official Guides - Garbage, in my opinion, for those already achieving in the upper 600s. The questions are far too easy for a 700+ crowd.
    Kaplan Guides - Good overall for the fundamentals. And, it's nice that they use "retired" GMAT questions.
    BtGMAT.com Resources - Good overall. Some of the resources are not useful at all, or they might be catered to a non-native speaker. Others have errors, as the questions were just made up by someone. But, it was highly helpful to see the success stories and study strategies of high achievers. Their resources, typically, were superior to any others.
Good luck to all the future test takers!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by MastermindExcello » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:35 am
your unofficial score should be your official score. If they ever change them, it's very rare.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by BuckeyeT » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:21 am
Thanks for the help. Just got the confirmation of the official at 730 with a 6.0 for the essays.

by tempmbaquestion » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:16 am
Real GMAT: 710 (Q 49, V 40)
Kaplan: 690, 620, 770, 750
GmatPrep: 740, 740

I have a question related my real GMAT score. I checked out other score reports and all the reports with Q 49 and V 40 had an overall score of 730 (one report was just a month old). Could someone explain the discrepancy? Could the unofficial score report differ from the official one?

I understand that the percentiles are changing, but could also the calculation of the overall GMAT score change? I would just like to understand if there might be mistake that could account for this. Please let me know what you think.

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:36 am
tempmbaquestion wrote:Real GMAT: 710 (Q 49, V 40)
Kaplan: 690, 620, 770, 750
GmatPrep: 740, 740

I have a question related my real GMAT score. I checked out other score reports and all the reports with Q 49 and V 40 had an overall score of 730 (one report was just a month old). Could someone explain the discrepancy? Could the unofficial score report differ from the official one?

I understand that the percentiles are changing, but could also the calculation of the overall GMAT score change? I would just like to understand if there might be mistake that could account for this. Please let me know what you think.
Scoring has gone up, now Q49 V40 use to be 730 in 2007 so 20 point drop is not surprising. Do confirm though your actual score.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

by tempmbaquestion » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:03 am
Please see a report from Nov 2009 by following this link https://www.urch.com/forums/just-finishe ... -96-a.html. If this report is accurate it means that even now one can get 730 with quant 49 and verbal 40. I am totally confused.