730/730/740/730 on GMAT prep. But 610 on real GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi All,

i have given my test on 8th sept 2011 and scored 610. :( :(
Quant - 49
Verbal - 24

This was my second attempt. In first attempt i scored 620 (Dec 2009).

Feeling very de-motivated and sad , as I had never scored below 730 in six GMAT Prep tests this time during my preparations.
GMATprep1 - 730
GMATprep2 - 730
GMATprep3 - 740
GMATprep4 - 730
GMATprep5 - 760(Retake)
GMATprep6 - 730(Retake)

Note : I have given AWA on every test.

I am planning to take my test again next month but dunno where to start from, as I am completely short of material now. Can anybody plz suggest some good material for verbal.

During my preparations, have covered the following material :
OG 10 (2 times),
OG 12 (2 times),
MGMAT SC,
PowerScore CR Bible,
RC 99
Gmat prep Sc and Cr document
Papagust 300+ math question.

In the last , i want to say one thing. I know , it sounds wierd but people who have given tests on 8th sept have scored well below their GMAT prep score. I came across 2 posts on this forum and 2 others on another forum. Is there any chance of any evaluation error? Just a thought. :|

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:57 pm
I would just suggest something. Check out e-gmat.com.

They are just SC and CR focused. I have only heard good things about they. $49 each for SC and CR. I am just making a suggestion, take a look at them.

Other than that I think you have mentioned all the decent material.
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!

by rohit87 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:14 pm
@akhilsuhag : Thanks. Are u enrolled in SC and CR course of e-gmat? If yes , then hw r u finding the practice material? I m going to focus mainly on verbal from now on.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Warlock007 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:48 pm
rohit87 wrote:Hi All,

i have given my test on 8th sept 2011 and scored 610. :( :(
Quant - 49
Verbal - 24

This was my second attempt. In first attempt i scored 620 (Dec 2009).

Feeling very de-motivated and sad , as I had never scored below 730 in six GMAT Prep tests this time during my preparations.
GMATprep1 - 730
GMATprep2 - 730
GMATprep3 - 740
GMATprep4 - 730
GMATprep5 - 760(Retake)
GMATprep6 - 730(Retake)

Note : I have given AWA on every test.

I am planning to take my test again next month but dunno where to start from, as I am completely short of material now. Can anybody plz suggest some good material for verbal.

During my preparations, have covered the following material :
OG 10 (2 times),
OG 12 (2 times),
MGMAT SC,
PowerScore CR Bible,
RC 99
Gmat prep Sc and Cr document
Papagust 300+ math question.

In the last , i want to say one thing. I know , it sounds wierd but people who have given tests on 8th sept have scored well below their GMAT prep score. I came across 2 posts on this forum and 2 others on another forum. Is there any chance of any evaluation error? Just a thought. :|
bro m in the same boat

please stay in touch

https://gmatclub.com/forum/got-destroyed ... 19906.html

see this

my gtalk id is [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:16 am
I did their free material. My prep has stalled as I had some interviews and stuff and now I am probably moving to a different country, but I will enroll with e-gmat once I resume my prep.
So I really don't have any reviews to give you but I have looked around and found good things about them, and found their free stuff to be good.

I would urge you to look at their free sessions and material and then take a pick.

All the best for your prep!!
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:00 pm
i received a private message about this thread.

from the quantity of material you've mentioned, i suspect that one of your principal issues may be that you're simply studying way too much, while not making more of an effort to understand the core nature of the problems. especially in critical reasoning and reading comprehension, remember that extensive studying isn't really worth much; success on those problem types is mostly a function of three things:
1, the intuition and common sense that you already have from dealing with real-world situations (especially on cr)
2, the ability to understand the organization and relationships in a reading passage
3, the ability to distinguish relevant information from irrelevant information

the items in this list are not things that can be improved by raw practice or rote memorization/repetition, regardless of how strong your work ethic may be.

a couple of questions:
* when you say that you have "gone through" these materials -- especially in regard to your having gone through the og twice -- what exactly does that mean? have you just been solving tons and tons of problems and checking the answers, or have you spend effort trying to understand the general nature and purpose of the problems?
* how many days per week have you been taking OFF from studying? this is really important -- if the answer to this question is 0 or 1 (especially if the answer is 0), then your study habits are actually inhibiting your brain's ability to develop the kind of lateral reasoning required for these thought processes.

please read the following links:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-to-impro ... tml#405217
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-score-6 ... tml#403826

--

also, don't use rc99 -- the passages in that source have been taken from sources designed for the mcat, which is a completely different test, and so will actually work against your gmat rc efforts in general. (mcat passages generally consist of clusters of random facts and very rarely have true main points, so they are not useful for the kinds of questions posed on the gmat.)

there's also the issue that the passages in rc99 have been stolen from other sources, mostly kaplan mcat books, although that issue is largely irrelevant to students.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Warlock007 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:06 am
lunarpower wrote: also, don't use rc99 -- the passages in that source have been taken from sources designed for the mcat, which is a completely different test, and so will actually work against your gmat rc efforts in general. (mcat passages generally consist of clusters of random facts and very rarely have true main points, so they are not useful for the kinds of questions posed on the gmat.)

there's also the issue that the passages in rc99 have been stolen from other sources, mostly kaplan mcat books, although that issue is largely irrelevant to students.
Hey Ron
first of all thanks for this insightful post
as you have indicated don't use RC 99
I am a non native speaker also U didn't studied in English medium until Engineering
so i am bit afraid of RCs
please guide us how can we kill the RC....

thanks in advance as i know whatever you will write will be useful for all the students like me

by rohit87 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:57 am
@Ron - Thanks a ton for reply.
I think that i have done a big mistake by exhausting myself in last few days before exam. I was just practicing more and more. Also , i did not take any OFF from studying. From last 2 weeks i was thinking that what went wrong and these doubts were on my mind(study more), but ur post cleared my doubts completely. I will just try to focus on verbal with basics now.
Also, i will try to do OG with the approach mentioned by u.

Can u plz give more insights on how to approach SC now(as some changes have been announced by GMAC) ?