720 (Q48, V41) and time management strategy for quant

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I took my GMAT today and scored 720 (Q48, V41). I thought I would share my time management strategy with those who are good at math in general but struggle to finish quant sections on time.
When I started to prepare for GMAT and took a few practice exams, I was very surprised that I ran out of time on question 26-27, though solved those almost without any errors.
So, I knew that I should improve my time management by :
1) Picking up the pace: no double checking and use shortcuts as opposed to algebra solutions and formulas
2) Spreading my guesses throughout the test
To address my first issue, I used Manhattan GMAT guides and Archer. I solved OG problems under time constraint and developed an "internal clock".
For my second issue, I spread the exam in blocks of 5 as opposed in the blocks of 10 since I really suffered from spending too much time on individual problems and thus, had to force myself to move on if I could not solve the problem in less than 2 minutes. Here is my timetable I used:
Time left Questions solved
65 5
55 10
45 15
35 20
25 25
15 30
If I was behind this by 3 questions, I would guess the DS question after reading it (educated guess). I would not recommend guessing on PS unless you are stcuk and do not know how to proceed. Using this method, I was actually able to finish the section on time and score in the range of 47-50 on the practice tests. In my actual GMAT, I started by writing down my time table before moving to solve the questions. This worked for me. Though I did not score 50 on quant, I am still happy with the overall result.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by GMAT Kolaveri » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:51 pm
nice post..

pls share your verbal preparation and test taking stragies..
Regards and Thanks,
Vinoth@GMAT Kolaveri
https://www.facebook.com/GmatKolaveri
https://gmatkolaveri.tumblr.com/

Click the thank you button if you like my reply :)

by lenam » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:14 pm
Unfortunately, I cannot provide any advice re: Verbal. I did not focus on verbal since I never had a trouble with this part. But I majored in English Literature and Economics. So, maybe my English major explains the score, even though English is my 3rd language. You do not have to be a native speaker to do well on verbal. I know some native speakers who do poorly on verbal as well as non native speakers who perform extremely well.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by melon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:24 pm
@lenam Great advice.thankyou very much

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by KAS1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:21 am
lenam wrote: If I was behind this by 3 questions, I would guess the DS question after reading it (educated guess).
That's an awesome idea. Thanks!! And congratulations on your awesome score!

by vishal2012 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:49 pm
If I was behind this by 3 questions, I would guess the DS question after reading it (educated guess).

This is a great strategy thanks for sharing this
Vishal

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:18 am
@lenam....Please tell me what practice tests you have appeared for