710 (Q50 - V 36) - Have I beaten the GMAT or not?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hello,

My test was today. I haven't really had any time to study for the test, because I have been working too much and I was almost never home and free. I just had time to do practice tests and that is all.

Without any preparation, I took CAT1 (12 Dec) and I scored a 710 (Q50, V36), then I reviewed the problems and made a list of the topics that I had most wrong answers. I made a little review on that at work (Don't let my manager hear lol) and then After working 13 hours, I took CAT2 (16 Dec) at 11.30pm and I scored a 660 (Q49, V32), but when I reviewed the questions as always, I noticed that it was mostly because of concentration problems. I still went ahead and made a list of the topics that I need to study.

Then finally the weekend came and yesterday (18 Dec), I took the CAT3 in the morning after a decent breakfast and I scored a 750 (Q51,V41). And again reviewed the questions and topics, and today (19 Dec) I wanted to try a different practice test, so that I don't get used to the question types of Manhattan, and I made a little research to see in which test most people score lower than real Gmat. Kaplan was the answer.

Then I took Kaplan's free test(21 Dec) and I scored a 700 (Q47, 40). Funnily Kaplan way easier than Manhattan. I finished the whole Quant in 32 minutes and I had only one wrong answer. Yet I scored 47 in Quant. Verbal part of Kaplan is also easier than MGMAT.

- GMATPrep1(24 Dec): Taken at 11pm after work, Scored 700.. didn't take the essays.. Q50 V33
- GMATPrep2(25 Dec): Taken in the morning today, after having breakfast, took it under full exam conditions (i.e. i took the AWAs as well.) and I scored 730.. Q50, V38..

---------------

And the test, I wrote the AWAs, finished both 5 minutes early. Expecting a 5. I used my both breaks, and Quant was way easier than MGMAT, while Verbal was equal.

So have I beaten the GMAT?

I am aiming to get into Duisenberg School of Finance.

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:34 am
Well with the amount of practice you put in, you definitely beat the GMAT! Congrats!

It's funny you should mention the DSF, we're having courses together with those guys! I'm pretty sure your GMAT won't stand in the way of getting in, but here's a hot tip: if you feel like retaking the test, then you should know that getting over 750 will land you a pretty neat scholarship ;)

by nathanalgren » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:08 am
DanaJ wrote:Well with the amount of practice you put in, you definitely beat the GMAT! Congrats!

It's funny you should mention the DSF, we're having courses together with those guys! I'm pretty sure your GMAT won't stand in the way of getting in, but here's a hot tip: if you feel like retaking the test, then you should know that getting over 750 will land you a pretty neat scholarship ;)
Thank you! Unfortunately I do not have time to study for the GMAT and even if I re-take it, I would probably score between 700-730. So I guess, it is not worth to try, on the other hand, I do need scholarship to finance my studies, maybe I can save money to finance my living expenses but I will definitely not be able to afford tuition fees.

We will see. You live in Amsterdam I guess, what do you think about Maastrict University, they give very nice scholarships to Turkish students, but I want DSF. Or should I ask this in the Business Schools section? :)

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:58 pm
I personally have not looked into it because it's not as well known as the UvA. Maastricht is also a much smaller city compared to Amsterdam, so I feel like the employment opportunities/lifestyle are different. In the end it depends what you want to do, I guess? And also what you can afford!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:760

by rkanthilal » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Congrats, nathanalgren!!! Good luck with DSF...

by nathanalgren » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:23 am
Thanks man. ;)