710 Q48 V39...This story is absurd...

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

710 Q48 V39...This story is absurd...

by mgshorrGMAT » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:48 pm
Finally took the beast today (September 3 2009) but I had terrible testing experience. I'll give you guys a basic debrief now, and come back in more detail later on.

***Anyone who can comment on this story please do. I'm a little burnt out after today and could use good some advice, and a beer.***

GMAT
1. February 09 - Decided to take the GMAT.
2. March 09 - Started a 9 week MGMAT in-class course.
3. June 09 - Studied on my own until now.
4. CAT Scores:
MGMAT 1 (2/09) 640 Q43 V35
MGMAT 2 (3/09) 620 Q39 V36
MGMAT 3 (5/09) 700 Q46 V40
MGMAT 4 (5/09) 620 Q39 V35
MGMAT 5 (7/09) 680 Q47 V36
MGMAT 6 (8/09) 690 Q44 V39

Princeton Review 1 (8/09) 710 Q47 V41

GMATPr. 1 (8/09) 710 Q48 V40 (3 weeks before test)
GMATPr. 2 (8/09) 750 Q50 V42 (1 week before test)

*GMAT Prep scores are accurate. I did not encounter any questions that I had seen before.

September 3 2009: D-Day
I arrived at my test center in Maryland, ate a snack, and went in.

Essays:
Semi-Mistake 1: I have never actually written the essays when taking a practice test. Not really a big deal to be honest though. (If you are a native speaker and don't need the practice.) I got cut off on both of the essays in my last sentence so I am not worried about it. Lesson Learned: Get somewhat familiar with them, I wasn't.
Then I took my 8 minute break.

Without further ado, the meltdown begins.

Quant:

When leaving the room, it took a full minute to scan my palm and show my ID. (Required if leaving the test room...ridiculous)
Finally I get out of the room, take a 6 minute break, and come back in with 1 minute left in the original 8 minute break.
When my proctor attempted to sign me in, the computer froze. ~30-45 seconds later I was finally able to scan my palm. After the scan I pulled out my ID, and the proctor studied it like map. Another 10-20 seconds (Lol like she hadn't been dealing with me all day. From the time I walked in I hadn't been more than 5 feet away from her)
At this point steam is coming out of my ears and giving this woman the death stare. I told her about the break timing and she couldn't respond. (We both knew exactly what was happening.)
Finally we get to my computer. At this point the proctor attempted to sign me back in to my test. Because she was rushing (and had chubby little meathooks for fingers) it took her 5 tries to enter her password correctly.
I look up at the break timer. 10:10/8:00

Ooops just lost 2:10 on my quant. section.

I start with 72:50 on the clock. After spending another 2 minutes trying to regain focus, (cooling down, I was seriously pissed off) I finally got down to business.
I got off to a decent start and then got to a tricky question maybe 6 or 7. From this point on the questions really seemed to vary so I had no clue how I was doing. Some were similar to the OG's and I solved them quickly. Others were different and I had to think for a bit.
I spent 3-5 minutes on several problems because I "knew" I could solve them. Do this at your own risk!!

Bottom Line: In practice tests I could usually gauge how I was doing by the difficulty of the problems. On the real thing I had NO IDEA. With the experimental Q's thrown in the mix I was really confused.
Finally I get down to the last 5 questions. I look at the clock, 30 seconds.
30 Seconds to do 5 questions. On practice exams, this never happened.
I managed to solve one, and HAD to guess on the last four.

This experience was a crushing blow for two reasons.

1. I guessed blindly on 4 questions. Statistically speaking, I didn't get any right.
2. 2 Minutes may not sound like much time to an outsider, but for someone aiming to score at the 700+ level, 2 minutes is a monumental amount of time. (Some problems took me 20-30 seconds to solve.)

Verbal:

I got out of the Quant and debated leaving the pearson center. I took a 3 minute break, collected myself and went back in.
The verbal was verbal. It looks the same to me every time I take the test.
The RC's weren't bad. One of them was the most entertaining topic I've ever seen. I can't tell you what it was, but it was awesome. On one RC, I answered a question and immediately realized it was wrong...damn...
The CR's weren't terrible either. If you have a handle on the CR's in the OG, the CR's on the GMAT aren't going to surprise you.
The SC's were actually what messed with my head...Some were brutal, and some were ridiculously easy.
In my opinion GMAT throws in experimental Q's to screw with your head. Some were so easy that I actually started to over-think them.
Finally I got down to the last 5 questions, with 30 seconds left. FML, my timing was way off. I guessed on the last 4, and didn't even get to the last question.

Yup...I only answered 40/41 Verbal questions...damn.

The End:
The test ended, and it took me 1:45 to decide whether I was going to keep my score.

Considering my practice test scores, (I always finished the practice CATs in time), and the fact that I GUESSED the last 4-5 questions in each section, (leaving one blank in verbal), I said what the hell, I can always take up the LSAT.

I got the score report: 710. Q48 V39.

I was mildly pumped. I managed to break 700 in a less than desirable testing situation, but I also had the overwhelming feeling that I really didn't maximize my potential.

Don't get me wrong, a 710 is a good score, and it puts you in range for any program, but its tough to swallow the fact that I really didn't give it my best effort. Especially after 7-8 months of studying.

***So there is my first debrief. I will detail my study plans a little later. If anyone is still reading, let me know what you think about the Quant. Section, and missing 2 minutes. I think the stress/disruption of it threw me off for the rest of the exam.

Thanks,
Mark

p.s. Anyone want to venture a guess how much the timing affected my score?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ogbeni » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:59 pm
LOL - that was an entertaining read! Dude the test in in the past now. No need asking what may have happened...you can get into any school you want provided you provide a compelling story in your application.

CONGRATULATIONS you sonned the GMAT!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mgshorrGMAT » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:51 pm
thanks bud...

I called pearson and ripped them apart...they are gonna review the case and may offer me a free retake...

I hear you on the sonned part but now I owe the gmat a beatdown

GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:42 pm
Congrats on the score. You know I've heard so many horror stories about what happens during the breaks on standardized tests (not just GMAT, but also other ones like the DAT, etc.) that I opted to skip both my breaks.

If I were you, I wouldn't retake the test. There's no telling what may happen on your 2nd test day.. you could get another testing center from hell, and get the same (or lower) score, which might raise red flags at admissions.

I'm still new to the admissions process, but a better route might be to get something in writing from Pearson acknowledging there were inconsistencies in the way they handled your test experience. That way, you could use that to your advantage in your application, and talk about how you succeeded despite the odds being stacked against you. Just a thought. good luck on your apps!
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7

Followed by:3 members

by kaulnikhil » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:56 pm
Dude hard work did pay off .. U still in 700 so cheer up!!

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:26 pm
Hey you're from Maryland! That's so cool: I spent last summer there, in Frederick... It's such a great place, with great people... Oh and BTW: if you're from Frederick or pass through, check out the Macaroni Grill. Food is great - but please don't forget to generously tip your waiter/waitress :)

Anyway, congrats on your score! It's a really good one. However, although I don't want to bring you down, you scored 750 on GMATprep. My guess is that this is your true level. IMHO, if Pearson offers a free retake, go for it! I'm sure you can do even better (not that there's anything wrong with your current score - it's a really good one).

by mike22629 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:39 am
I believe you should retake the test if it is for free. If you scored a 710 with those types of problems, I see no reason you can't get in the 740+ range.

P.S. I got a 710 as well and it just seems to be that number thats SO difficult to decide on whether or not to retake. Its good, but NOT that 720 number that seems to be the golden standard. However, I have done some research and everyone seems to say that a 710 will not stop you from getting into any school (aside from Stanford or Colombia maybe).