700 plus GMAT aspirations -- PLS HELP!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

700 plus GMAT aspirations -- PLS HELP!

by uhsa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:55 am
Guys,
My 1st day in BTG, I mean to say I will officially start to read from today. I had a few questions in general:

I am looking to get into Chicago Booth (or NW as a second option). I have graduated from DeVry as a Computer Engineer with a 3.7 GPA, have 7 yrs experience as a Network Administrator/Project Lead.

I started my MS in Network Security from DePaul University when it hit me that I should do what I really want, not something that I do just because my work pays for it. So with only 5 more subjects to go, I decided to pursue my dream -- get into Booth / NorthWestern Uni. for an MBA.

My question is: would my graduating from a school like DeVry be counted against me? Would my experience in IT be counted against me?

And the question which prompted me to email you: Can you please guide me if there are any books that I should must have? I read and re-read most of your daily tweets/blogs; and I have read a lot of GMAT blogs. However, I couldn't find someone telling me something of the sort (hypothetical below):

* Do Quant first -- Use Veritas Prep/Kaplan Math
* Do Verbal next -- Manhattan for Sentence Correction
* For this section -- this book

I would love to get some generic "comprehensive" list of books that are like "must have". I say this knowing that "one size fits all" may not be true. However, it will certainly get me started.

I understand that I would be taking a lot of your time, and all this when I haven't even said anything about me being your potential client. To be brutally honest, I can't afford your services. But reading every day the notes that you send out, I somehow feel that you might "help" me to get started.

I appreciate your taking time in reading this.

uhsa

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:00 am
Wow, Kellogg and Booth are two of the most prestigious programs in the world, and that means you are competing against other students who have great profiles such as undergrads from Harvard, Stanford, Yale, and crazy accomplishments.

Unless you can reason why you deserve a slot over these guys, perhaps you might want to consider other schools that are less competitive.

by uhsa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:26 am
A few reasons why I chose those two schools:

1. I am in Chicago
2. I am an IT professional, and this will be a career-changing decision.
3. If you are going to do MBA, you should do it from a better school.

Having said that, I just want to note that I am NOT talking about getting in full time. I am looking for an evening, part-time course at either of these locations. I heard that they are a "bit" more lenient with the evening programs.

What are everyone's thoughts? Think this is doable? I know most will say here that nothing is impossible, but realistically speaking, would my academic background, my work background be any hindrance?

Thanks

-uhsa

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:07 pm
uhsa wrote: What are everyone's thoughts? Think this is doable? I know most will say here that nothing is impossible, but realistically speaking, would my academic background, my work background be any hindrance?
That's the point I was making. How do you reason why adcom should choose you over someone else from a competitive undergrad school and may have accomplished more.

If you can provide reasons why you think that you deserve the slot more so than another person who may have stronger profiles through traditional means, then I think you have a legitimate shot. But if your reasons are that you want to switch career, you live in the area of those schools, and why aim for something lower, then I don't think you are going to have a legitimate shot.

by uhsa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:14 pm
I guess you misunderstand me. My reasons to go to the top school are *not* just bcoz I am in Chicago and/or I want a career-change. I am saying that because I am in Chicago I chose Booth as opposed to say Wharton.

I also meant that because doing an MBA would be career changing for me, I need to give it my best shot, and do it from the best school out there. Despite having a reasonably good job, I am looking to get out of my comfort zone and do this, because this is one thing I always wanted to do as a kid; and if I am going to do it, I am going to aim for the stars...

Reading your answers, I am having a feeling that it might not be a good idea, and that my chances to succeed are slim. (I know you are trying to tell me that if I can convince here WHY I should, then I have a chance. If I can't even convince myself or put it here, chances are the people at Booth are not going to go for it). However, no disrespect, I am going to give it my best. When I started out in IT, I was doing Helpdesk, phone support (answering calls when someone says I can't print) and I was very frustrated. I was told by someone who looked at my resume that to become a Network Administrator, it would take me 8-10 years.

I was a network admin in 8 months after that. I am not cocky, on the contrary, I procrastinate a LOT . But that just taught me that there is always some hope. I am going to hang on to that one...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ssaravanaraj » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:49 pm
uhsa, go for it! try your level best. show all your best skills in your resume. Try to understand what these schools value and learn more about the admission process. may be becoming an active member and supporting any non-profit might help. AdComs want to look for your leadership skills and abilities. you need to have a good score and show that you can be a great leader.

by bmorgan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:18 pm
A high GMAT score will satiate any worries adcoms have about your academic abilities. Do the best with the hand you've been dealt and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. Good luck
I do not have superior intelligence or faultless looks. I do not captivate a room or run a mile under six minutes. I only succeeded because I was still working long after everyone else went to sleep.

-Greg Evans

Veritas CAT: 680
GMATPrep CAT: 680