700. I did it my way.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

700. I did it my way.

by agata » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:06 am
Hi guys,

This is just a quick post to to say thank you to the community and to add one small advice to all the great recommendations that you can find on this forum.

It was a long journey for me... And the things that posters say here about "never give up" and "practice, practice, practice" they are all true! :) Personally, I was very disappointed with Kaplan (total waste of money for me). Manhattan books and instructors and brilliant.

After getting a score above 700 on all of my last 5 practicing tests I took the GMAT a month ago and scored 600. I was destroyed.
On that day I did everything right. I was calm and confident. I arrived early. I was dressed in layers. I ate all the snack on my breaks :) I thought I was doing great. I was not.

Yesterday, a month after the disaster, things were different. I have not studied for the last month. That 600 hit me hard and I knew that it was not the knowledge that I was missing. It was something else... Yesterday I was relaxed. I had no expectations. No heels, no make-up. Just my ID and my brain. I had not eaten on my breaks - I think better when I am hungry.

It worked for me. I got 700. A 100 up after a month of partying.

So here is my piece of advice: Be yourself. Do whatever works for You.

Although I am convinced that preparation is the key to a high GMAT score, sometimes preparation might not be enough. If that is the case, you need to find the missing ingredient. And you are unlikely to find it in the books or on the forum, but you will surely find in yourself.

Best of luck to all you.

Agata

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by shalzz9 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:57 am
Congratulations agata.
I also believe that we should do wat ever suits us the best.

Could you also give us the quant and verbal splits of ur scores

Thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmat-10 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:15 am
That is the whole point. "Finding the missing element" which is not always the knowledge and practice it could be something totally different such as:

-You tried to do so much GMATPrep exam practice that you start avoiding that GMATprep application. If that is the case then stop studying and spend sometime without doing anything.

-Do not expect anything just imagine that whatever will appear on screen needs to be solved.

-If too much haste, anxiety and practice has ruined your motivation than leave GMAT preparation for a while and let your mind motivate once again without browsing any forum or any website.