700+ Freedom of Speech

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

700+ Freedom of Speech

by challenger63 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:21 am
Raymond: Although some people claim it is inconsistent to support freedom of speech and also support legislation limiting the amount of violence in TV programs, it is not. We can limit TV program content because the damage done by violent programs is more harmful than the decrease in freedom of speech that would result from the limitations envisioned by the legislation.

Which one of the following principles, if valid, most helps to justify Raymond's reasoning?

A) In evaluating legislation that would impinge on a basic freedom, we should consider the consequences of not passing the legislation

B) One can support freedom of speech while at the same time recognizing that other interests can sometimes override

C) When facing a choice between restricting freedom of speech or not, we must decide based on what would make the greatest number of people the happiest

D) If the exercise of a basic freedom leads to some harm, then the exercise of that freedom should be restricted.

E) In some circumstances, we should tolerate regulations that impinge on a basic freedom.

OA will be later.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by zeza » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 am
I'm between A and D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:38 pm
Raymond's argument is that one can support freedom of speech in general but also support limiting that freedom in cases where there is a net harm (i.e., the damage from violent TV is worse for society than the decrease in freedom imposed by regulating TV content). We need a principle that goes along with that.

A does not work; Raymond does not discuss the consequences of not passing legislation.

B fits; one can support the general ideal while also recognizing that there are other factors to consider in specific cases.

C is irrelevant; there is nothing in Raymond's argument about making people happy.

D is too broad; Raymond's argument is that in specific cases it may make sense to limit basic freedoms. He's not saying that harm automatically means that freedom should be restricted.

E is similarly too broad; we don't know if Raymond's opinion applies to all basic freedoms or only to freedom of speech.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by theunheardmelody » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 pm
Was torn between A and B but chose B for following reasons..

A) In evaluating legislation that would impinge on a basic freedom, we should consider the consequences of not passing the legislation -> Consequences are not discussed in the OP

B) One can support freedom of speech while at the same time recognizing that other interests can sometimes override

C) When facing a choice between restricting freedom of speech or not, we must decide based on what would make the greatest number of people the happiest -> Nothing about making people happier is mentioned.

D) If the exercise of a basic freedom leads to some harm, then the exercise of that freedom should be restricted. -> Extreme

E) In some circumstances, we should tolerate regulations that impinge on a basic freedom.-> Too vague...

by challenger63 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:16 am
Official answer B

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:43 pm
Hey All,

Just to be clear, this is an LSAT question. As far as I know "Identify the Principle" questions don't exist on the GMAT. Now, one can make a reasonable argument about studying using LSAT questions (in fact, I'm going to post a thread on it!), but there are some significant differences between LSAT and GMAT questions...even those of the same type (i.e. GMAT assumption questions are DIFFERENT than LSAT assumption questions). So be careful!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

by challenger63 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:04 am
Tommy Wallach wrote:Hey All,

Just to be clear, this is an LSAT question. As far as I know "Identify the Principle" questions don't exist on the GMAT. Now, one can make a reasonable argument about studying using LSAT questions (in fact, I'm going to post a thread on it!), but there are some significant differences between LSAT and GMAT questions...even those of the same type (i.e. GMAT assumption questions are DIFFERENT than LSAT assumption questions). So be careful!

-t
This is the question from VeritasPrep GMAT Set 5 #62.
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.