690 ; Target 720 ; Dissapointed ; Next Step?Need Expert Help

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
Hi Community...

Just took the GMAT and scored a 690 Q(44),V(40).I'm disappointed as I could have definitely crossed the 700 mark but I missed the last two questions on the Quantitative section.I intend to take the GMAT again and my target score is 720.I have two questions for the experts

Q1)Knowing that a minimum of 31 days gap needs to be there between attempts,how long would you advise for one to wait to make a second attempt?? Is a month enough to increase the score by 30 points assuming that I will be working as well and will not be able to devote a 100% of my time to prep work??

Q2)What extra practice do you recommend to increase the Quant score to get 720 from a 690.

Thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by ankur@gmat » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:47 am
Hi,
First I am no expert. Your verbal score looks competitive. If you can push your quant score to 48+, you will very well cross your target score. Try practicing quant questions and improving your timings. I believe that would work.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:07 am
Sounds like you're almost there!

If you've already had 720+ scores on previous practice tests, then 31 days is enough time to get ready for the next attempt. I suggest that you take an occasional practice test (once/week?) to stay mentally agile. At the same time, you can strengthen areas of weakness in math by working on (and reviewing) questions in the BTG forums. The questions here are often 650+.

I also suggest that you use BTG's tagging features to tackle one topic at a time (e.g., probability questions). Example: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... robability

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:31 pm
First of all, congratulations for your score. 690 is a very good score! (boy what would i give to be in your shoes :-) )

In order to touch or break the 720 mark, you will need improvement in both V and Q. The good news is that the improvement is not all that much and given you have a bit over a month it is manageable. Getting a 690 suggest that you are smart and have a pretty good handle on the GMAT and topics it tests..I think practicing hard on your weak areas (timing on tough questions for quant for example) while further improving your strengths should do the trick.

I think you need to improve both your Q and V score by around 2 points each (Q46, V42 - 720) or significantly improve your quant score while maintaining your Verbal level ( Q49 V40 - 720). You have to analyze yourself to see where you can squeeze the most improvement in the least time (provided you are short on time). a 4% improvement on the overall score might actually be acheived by reworking your strategy and no NEW practice at all. I think you have to take a few CAT's and figure out where your strategy can be tweaked all the while working on your strengths. Your second GMAT should be less stressful and you should feel relaxed so that can also bring some improvement in your score.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

Followed by:13 members

by soni_pallavi » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:19 pm
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:Sounds like you're almost there!

If you've already had 720+ scores on previous practice tests, then 31 days is enough time to get ready for the next attempt. I suggest that you take an occasional practice test (once/week?) to stay mentally agile. At the same time, you can strengthen areas of weakness in math by working on (and reviewing) questions in the BTG forums. The questions here are often 650+.

I also suggest that you use BTG's tagging features to tackle one topic at a time (e.g., probability questions). Example: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... robability

Cheers,
Brent
Thanks Brent.

One question though...since Ive exhausted my GMAT Prep tests (including several resets) where else can I take similar GMAT Preps to guage my improvements??

THANKS to all others for the encouraging words. :)