690 (Q48,V36) in First mock test (GMATPrep). Need Guidance..

This topic has expert replies

Am I ready? Should I take GMAT on 8-Sept?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Mentally tired and physically exhausted from the days' work @ office, I came home determined to take a mock test. Though I was not in the best of mental state to sit through a 3+ hrs test, I pursued anyways. After a painful process of installing windows on my mac laptop (I found that GMATPrep doesnt work on Mac!!) I started the test (Practice test 1) @ 7 in the evening, yesterday.

AWA : Didnt write well on both - Analysis of the issue and Analysis of the argument. I found Analysis of the argument to be tougher. During my preparation I had never focused in this area. Just for the sake of it, spent 1 hour in this section and pressed Next.

Quant : Disaster!! Was feeling pressed for time from almost 10th question. Only 8 minutes were left to answer last 10 questions :-(
Of which I blindly guessed on 4 questions and took a calculated guess on 4-5 questions. Didnt get a chance to completely read the last question. Just clicked a choice thinking that a wrong answer is better than not answering at all.

Verbal : Dejected by the dibacle, continued with the verbal which I anyways knew to be my weak point. So there was little hope that I would do some miracle here. Surprisingly, I felt the questions to be easier. But, given my experience while taking the Quant section, I decided to hurry through the question as fast as I could. Finally, I was able to complete the section with 5 minutes to spare. Which is again not good as I could have spent this time on other questions. :-(

Result : If it were a real GMAT test, I would have decided not to take the score, given my bad performance. Here, I just clicked next until the result screen showed up. I was expecting something in the range of 550-580 (I hadnt given a mock test before so didnt know how the estimate the score given the performance.) To my surprise, I got an encouraging 690 (Q48, V36).
Quant : 13 incorrect : question no : 3,5,7,10,13,19,24,28,31,33,35,36,37.
Verbal : 14 incorrect (RC-4, SC-7 and CR-3) : question no : 4,11,14,16,21,24,27,30,32,33,34,37,40,41.

Analysis, Action items and Conclusion:
The environment in which I gave the test was not the best. Was too noisy due to constant chit-chat of friends. I was hopping from room to room in a hope that I will find a peaceful place to take the test. Will have to find a more suitable time (e.g. early morning when everybody is asleep) or a better place next time when I take the test.

AWA : Need to devise a strategy and practice.

Quant : Need to improve on time management. Need to practice more with time keeping. Material studied : Princeton, OG11, Kaplan800

Verbal : Need to improve SC which is also my weakest area. Materials studied for verbal : Princeton, OG11, Kaplan800, Manhattan.

There are also few positives to take home from this experience. I was surprised to know that one can afford to make so many mistakes and still score 690. I had a perception that 5-6 wrong questions in each section and the score comes down to low 600s. Hence, there is a lot of scope for improvemnt given that I took the test in the worst possible scenario.

So, given all this, the question is, and this is where I need your help, whether I am ready for the G-day. I am planning to take it two weeks from now (around Sept 8th). I have to make a call within a day or two, else I wont get a slot. And that is one of the reason why I took the test. I think I should go ahead with the planned date, though I am not fully convinced. The cost of postponing is huge here as I would miss the deadline to apply (first cycle) for ISB, which is 15th Sept. Please suggest me what I should do.

Also, I would appreciate if you can suggest what else I can do to improve the score.

Finally, this site has helped me a lot throughout my preparation. Thanks a lot to all of you. I couldn't have asked for more.
Thanks also for reading such a long post. When I started writing, I didn't expect it to grow so long.

- Shrinidhi.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by BlueRain » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:50 pm
None of us can tell really how much confidence you have right now regarding the GMAT, and I believe confidence is important when it comes to GMAT. So if you think you are ready and confident to go into it, then go for it. If you are going to rely on popular opinion and second guess yourself, I'd say no.

With that said, GMATPrep is a very good predictor of your actual score (in my experience), so barring anything major, you should be able to perform around that level.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by rs2010 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:07 am
Don't reschedule it.
Take couple of day off before exam if possible.
You will gonna do fine.

It is just an exam, dont take too much load.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Congratualtions

by gwendolinecn » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:51 am
The result is admirable indeed. Could you tell me how the computer worked out the scores? I have never taken any test including the mock ones. Thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:43 am
totally ur call my friend !
nice post a-w, wish u luck for ur final test.